Former Zip Zakuani finding his way in MLS

“Life keeps getting better for Steve Zakuani. The former University of Akron star, only three games into his professional career, has started twice and recorded a goal and a game-tying assist. The Congo-born and London-raised soccer phenom left UA as a sophomore to declare for the Major League Soccer draft in January, in which he was selected first overall by the Seattle Sounders, a new expansion team.”

Life keeps getting better for Steve Zakuani.

The former University of Akron star, only three games into his professional career, has started twice and recorded a goal and a game-tying assist.

The Congo-born and London-raised soccer phenom left UA as a sophomore to declare for the Major League Soccer draft in January, in which he was selected first overall by the Seattle Sounders, a new expansion team.

Zakuani, only 21, said that the jump in level of play from MAC to pro soccer did not surprise him at all.

I knew it would be a very big jump. It’s just all-around better, he clarified. The MAC is a very physical conference, though.

Zakuani maintains that the past two contact-heavy seasons helped him to prepare for the world-class athleticism found in MLS.

Steve’s got great speed, a good change of pace, gushed Sounders coach Sigi Schmid. He’s clever and a good dribbler.

The rookie forward seems to be ready for the major league mentally, as well. He has already put his new team above himself, a rarity for a No. 1 pick in professional sports. Currently, Zakuani’s ambitions lie solely with the Sounders.

Our goal right now is the playoffs. We want to be strong at home, Zakuani said.

So far, Seattle is undefeated this season, not allowing a single goal in three matches. Currently, they are ranked No. 1 in the Western division.

The Sounders’ inaugural game took place in Seattle against the New York Red Bulls, another team with a celebrated UA soccer alumnus, midfielder Sinisa Ubiparipovic, who graduated in 2006.

The Seattle Sounders franchise, owned by Cleveland comedian Drew Carey and Microsoft’s Paul Allen, certainly stands out in the fan-hungry MLS.

From their apple-green jerseys to their XBOX 360 sponsorship to their one-of-a-kind 53-piece band, the Sounders organization has not been afraid to stand out. The fledgling team, still in its first year, has already sold out both of its home games at Qwest Field (although only 20,000 of 60,000) seats were made available for sale).

Zakuani said that Drew Carey is a constant presence at games and team functions, keeping the mood light and spirits high.

The Sounders’ roster, like many MLS teams, has an international feel to it. In fact, one-third of the players hail from countries other than the U.S.

We have our players who speak French and Spanish, Zakuani explained. Off the pitch we’ve bonded on road trips playing video games, things like that. We pick up each other’s habits.

On the field, it’s a universal language.

Zakuani also affirmed that he plans to try out for the Democratic Republic of the Congo’s national team in the near future, but, for now, he only thinks of himself as a Sounder.

While Zakuani thrives in the professional ranks, UA’s soccer program has continued its improvement of the past few years, establishing itself as a national power.

On Friday, the Zips dismantled No. 1-ranked Wake Forest, who had not been defeated at Winston-Salem in three years, by an decisive score of 3-0. On Sunday, the Zips continued their stunning success by playing the national runner-up North Carolina to a tie.

UA’s recruiting class is one of the best in the nation. Freshman Darlington Nagbe has solidified his spot as one of the best young players in the nation, already scoring two goals in the beginning of the spring season.

After the Zips’ win at Wake Forest, Zakuani exchanged text messages with Zips coach Caleb Porter and several players, congratulating them on their continued success.

Zakuani said that he wouldn’t exchange his two years at Akron for anything.

They have a great coach and great facilities, he remembered. Off the pitch, too, learning responsibilities as a student.

A world-class player who has lived in three continents, Steve Zakuani still holds a place in his heart for the UA campus.

I miss Akron. I’m really trying to get back there when I get time.

The Sounders play the Kansas City Wizards at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday in Seattle, and the Zips will travel to Ft. Wayne, Ind. to take on Indiana University at 7 p.m.

On April 26, the Zips will play the Columbus Crew of the MLS at Lee Jackson Field in Akron at 5 p.m.