Senior Sports Editor Bids Adieu

It seems like just yesterday I was moving my belongings into Grant residence hall. It was the first time I could be free.

As I sit writing this, just days away from graduation, I can’t help but reminisce on all the great times I had with some great friends.

I can remember vividly the first time I was introduced to Akron sports. It was at the Rubber Bowl in a rivalry game against Kent State in 2007.

Akron won the game, and I’ve been hooked ever since — so hooked that I traveled to Santa Barbara to see the men’s soccer team take it to Louisville to claim the National Championship hardware this past year. I might add that that trip is the best memory I have of my short four years here.

Akron athletics has taken me everywhere from Kentucky, Chicago, California, North Carolina, Canada and Indiana, to name a few. Those trips brought me closer to some of the people who I now call my best friends.

Looking back on the time I spent at The University of Akron, I couldn’t be any happier with the man I have become.

One great thing about The University of Akron is the opportunities that you can take advantage of. Akron is a small enough school for you to do anything you like.

I never would have imagined I would be the sports editor of the school paper or the sports director at WZIP. For that, I want to personally thank The University of Akron for being so good to me these last four years.

I can’t really say I’m going to miss this place, because I’m going to be coming back for graduate school. I guess I just can’t make myself leave.

My bit of advice to leave you in the paper that I have been a part of for the last two years is this: don’t just go to school to get by. Find something that you are passionate about and do it. Anybody can go through the motions in college and graduate. Please try to do something great. Do something that will make you proud, walking into your first job interview, that you attended The University of Akron.

It’s always hard to say goodbye, so let me leave you with a quote from Steve Jobs that I have been living by for the last few months:

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Take that and use it. Don’t let your time run out because, trust me, it goes fast.