Zips baseball falls to Georgia Tech

Sartaj Aujla

The University of Akron baseball team was unable to bounce back after being swept by Georgia Tech last Saturday, as the team lost to Louisville over the past weekend.

The Zips fell to 0-6 for the 2013 season, while Louisville improves to 5-1.

After a tough weekend against Georgia Tech the previous week, Akron was hoping their travel to Kentucky would net them some wins to get their season going on a good note.

However, victories would come tough against Louisville, ranked fourth in the country.

Louisville proved that they were not ranked number four by accident, as the Cardinals took over the opening game of the series and shut out the Zips in a 7-0 victory.

Akron was only able to muster up one hit during the game, and found no other spark offensively.

Akron came into game two of three trying to surprise Louisville and respond from their loss with a win, but it would not happen as Louisville shut out the Zips once again, 8-0.

During the game, Akron was able to muster up more offense than in game one, as they earned six base hits and two stolen bases. Akron would try to build off of this during the final game in the series.

Game three started with Louiville finding the scoreboard first, with a run at the bottom of
the first.

However, Akron was able to surge back into the game at the top of the second, as Joey
Havrilak was able to steal home after a hit from Jared Turocy. That run tied the game at 1-1.

The Zips would try to use this momentum to their advantage, but fell short at the bottom of the eighth when the Louisville Cardinals scored to take the lead 2-1. The Cardinals would then dash the Zips’ hopes at the top of the ninth by holding them scoreless, handing Akron its sixth loss of the season.

While Akron lost the series, it’s important to note that the Zips came back strong and held their own to avoid a third shutout against Louisville.