Zips snag two of three from Broncos on road trip

“The Zips baseball team won two games and had one loss this weekend after they traveled to Kalamazoo, Michigan to take on the Western Michigan Broncos in a three game series. The 12-9 Zips went into the weekend coming off a Wednesday home opener 7-4 win against the Duquesne Dukes.”

The Zips baseball team won two games and had one loss this weekend after they traveled to Kalamazoo, Michigan to take on the Western Michigan Broncos in a three game series.

The 12-9 Zips went into the weekend coming off a Wednesday home opener 7-4 win against the Duquesne Dukes.

The Zips started the weekend against the 4-16 Broncos on Friday afternoon.

Things did not go as planned for the Zips as they fell to the Broncos 3-2.

We didn’t take our chances on getting runs in, Zips head coach Pat Bangtson said.

The Broncos took a first inning lead at 1-0.

In the second inning, the Broncos scored two more runs.

The Zips fought back by scoring one run in both the eighth and ninth innings. Shortstop Kevin Haas had an RBI single in the eighth inning to bring the Zips closer at 3-1.

In the ninth inning with two outs, catcher John Turk hit a ball to left-center field and put one run in bringing the game to 3-2.

Alex Loftin pitched for the Zips and gave up three runs (two earned) and had six strikeouts in seven innings pitched.

The Zips had eight hits against the Broncos on Friday. Haas and Turk had two hits a piece for the Zips.

With the loss to the Broncos on Friday, the Zips started the season out in Mid-American Conference play at 0-1.

On Saturday, the Zips got back to their winning ways defeating the Broncos in a doubleheader 10-2 in the first game and 10-3 in the second game.

I am proud of our guys. It’s tough when you have to play two games in one day, Bangtson said.

Third baseman Sam Trecaso hit a groundout in the second inning to score Kordal.

Haas helped extend the Zips lead with an RBI single to right field to put the Zips out to an early 2-0 lead in the second inning.

The Zips tagged on another two runs in the top of the third and fourth innings.

The Zips scored five runs on three hits in the sixth.

The Zips came out of the sixth inning with 9-0 lead.

Keeping the Broncos off the scoreboard for the first seven innings was pitcher Andrew Brown, who ended the game with four strikeouts and seven hits at thirty-four at bats.

It wouldn’t be until the eighth inning when the Broncos got on the scoreboard with their only two runs of the game.

Haas led the Zips with four hits against the Broncos while Turk and Kordal had three hits a piece.

The Zips out hit the Broncos 17-7.

The second game in the doubleheader looked quite similar to the first game as the Zips struck early with a 1-0 lead in the first inning.

The Broncos fought back scoring a run of their own, tying the game at 1-1.

The Zips fought back scoring three runs in the second inning, and another in the third inning.

The Zips did a lot of damage in the fourth inning scoring four runs.

Both teams scored one run in the sixth inning and the Zips went home with the 10-3 win against the Broncos.

Benjamin Danziger pitched seven innings for the Zips and left the game with three runs, nine hits, and two strikeouts.

The Zips are now currently 2-1 in conference play.

The team will host Lake Erie College at 3 p.m. on Tuesday at Lee Jackson Field.

I feel our guys will improve each week and get better, Bangtson said.