Baseball loses three over weekend, Continues MAC woes against Central Michigan

The University of Akron men’s baseball team lost three straight this weekend to Central Michigan at Lee R. Jackson Baseball Field, dropping their record to 6-23 and 0-9 in the Mid-American Conference.

UA dropped their first two games on Saturday 3-2 and 7-8, after Friday’s game was postponed due to rain. Picking up the losses for the Zips were Andrew Brown, who pitched a complete game in the first game, and Alex Loftin, who lasted 1.2 innings in Saturday’s outing.

These were two tough games, said six-year Head Coach Pat Bangtson. The first game was a good pitcher dual; we had our number one starter Andrew Brown going against their number one. Game two, I felt like our hitters swung the bat outstanding; we had 12 hits but we just didn’t take advantage of scoring more runs to shut off the big inning. 

On Sunday, CMU’s Jake Sabol pitched a complete game, allowing four Akron hits. Akron starter Myles McVeigh lasted only 1.2 innings, allowing four unearned runs and two earned in his fifth loss.

I felt like as a team we were ready to play, but obviously pitching and defense allows you to compete. But we walked six guys and hit another, and that doesn’t even give you a chance, said Bangtson.

Akron’s Jared Turocy led the bottom of the first inning off with a double, giving UA an early chance to score when Matt Corpra moved Turocy to third on a sacrifice bunt. Turocy, however, was stranded on third as Sabol stroke out Drew Turocy while forcing Kurt Gamby into a flyout to left to end the inning.

The Chippewas (16-17, 5-4 MAC) blew the game open with a six-run lead in the second. After McVeigh struck out the first batter of the inning, the freshman righty walked the bases loaded.

Robbie Harmon then snapped a sharp grounder to Jason Corzine at third, whose throw to home was overthrown, allowing the Chippewas’ first run of the inning. The next four batters for CMU compiled three doubles and a sacrifice fly, tacking on five more runs for CMU.

CMU added three runs in the fourth off reliever Benjamin Danziger. Danziger finished the day with a season-high 4.1 innings pitched and six strikeouts.

Our bullpen came in and did a pretty good job in about the fourth or fifth inning, but when the starting pitching doesn’t give you a chance, it makes it tough, said Bangtson.  

The Chippewas scored in the seventh when pitcher Bobby Simone bobbled a tapper back to the mound by Nate Theunissen. Theunissen then scored on an Eric Wrozek single as an unearned run.

” #1.2160401:4242217692.jpg:Andrew Brown:Andrew Brown pitched a complete game in the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader:Akron Media Relations”