Bike week to hold race at UA campus

” Commuters all around campus have the same complaint every semester: that there is a lack of parking. It is particularly congested at the beginning of the semester. Consequently, many people are suggesting another option. It’s one that includes taking advantage of the nice weather and getting some exercise at the same time.”

Commuters all around campus have the same complaint every semester: that there is a lack of parking.

It is particularly congested at the beginning of the semester.

Consequently, many people are suggesting another option. It’s one that includes taking advantage of the nice weather and getting some exercise at the same time.

The UA bike club is encouraging students to ride a bicycle to their classes.

Not only does it save students from the headache and stress of finding a parking spot, it also saves gas.

The University of Akron Bike Club is teaming up with the city of Akron during Akron Bike Week, which is Sep. 4 through Sept. 12.

Beth Houseman, assistant director of the university park alliance, is involved in organizing the second annual Crank UP! bicycle scavenger hunt, which will be held Sunday, Sep. 6.

The bicycle scavenger hunt includes two races. A longer race will be available for more experienced riders, while a shorter race can be participated in by bicyclists who are inexperienced or simply prefer a more leisurely ride.

They both begin at 4 p.m. at the University Park Cycle Shop, which is located at 160 Exchange Street.

Tickets can be purchased that day for $7 at the University Park Cycle Shop. They can also be purchased early for $5. There will be a booth set up in the Student Union around lunch time selling tickets.

Prizes include gift cards to the University Park Cycle Shop and the Thirsty Dog Brewing Company.

Houseman explains that the University Park Alliance is trying to show students how convenient and fun it can be to make a bicycle their main source of transportation instead of a car.

We would like students and community members to see bicycling as more than just a recreational activity, she said.

Immediately following the bicycle scavenger hunt will be the Crank UP! after-party. It will begin at six p.m. and will be held at Grace Park, which is located at the corner of North Prospect and Perkins Street. Admission is free.

People from all over Akron are encouraged to stop by. They can check out displays, eat great food and congratulate the racers.

The overall point of the after-party is to bring students, as well as community members together to have fun and promote bicycle awareness.

There will also be a performance by the group Other Girls.

Greek community members will even participate in relay races on tricycles at the after-party! They will be raising money for the University Park neighborhood non-profit organizations.

There will be many other bike rides during Akron Bike Week, including a 19.5 mile Tour of Akron bike ride and a Harvest Moon bike ride that is followed by a campfire.

The University Park Cycle shop will offer free bicycle safety checks throughout the week.

Additionally, Metro RTA is offering free rides to people boarding the bus with a bicycle Tuesday through Friday of Akron Bike Week.

Although it is good to have fun and ride bikes for recreational reasons, it is important to understand that bicycles can also be a main mode of transportation, Houseman explained.

Part of the University Park Alliance’s mission is to revitalize and transform the diverse University Park Neighborhood.

Students will see many new bike racks around campus this semester, including one at the Bierce Library and an additional one at Olin Hall.

Bike racks will also be added to all campus shuttles this semester.

Students may also have noticed sharrows painted on the roads around campus several months ago. These sharrows, along with other signs in and around campus, encourage drivers to share the roads with bicyclists.

Bicycling to class saves students the stress of parking and also saves them gas.

So dust off your bike and enjoy the nice weather while it lasts!

Call assitant editor Bonnie Blum:

330-972-7362

To comment on this story, go to:

https://www.buchtelite.com