Akron defeats Ohio State again

By Matthew Balsinger, Managing Editor

For the third consecutive year, the Akron Zips defeated in-state rival The Ohio State University 1-0 Wednesday evening. The Zips out shot the Buckeyes 15-6, but lost 6-1 in shots on goal.

The lone Akron goal was scored by senior midfielder Zac Portillos with an assist from freshman midfielder Adam Najem. The winning goal for the game was Portillos’ first on the season and was the first game-winning goal to be made in the first six minutes of a game this season.IMG_0630-r

The most disappointing part of the victory was the ability of the Zips to close the game. Ohio State had the last five shots of the game, including two corner kicks, which put the Zips on defense for the final 15 minutes of the game.

With the victory over Ohio State, Akron moves to 6-2-0 on the season, 1-0-0 in Mid-American Conference play.

Historically the Zips have dominated the Ohio State-Akron soccer rivalry, going 27-6-3 all-time against the Buckeyes. Despite the rivalry, the Zips had an unusually light audience for the victory, with about 3,328 people in attendance.

In years past, the Zips have drawn crowds as large as 5,819 fans to the in-state match-up.

The Zips travel to take on MAC opponent West Virginia University this Sunday at 7 p.m.