Zips make it seven in a row against Buffalo

It’s been a season of inconsistency for The University of Akron men’s basketball team, but this past Saturday night marked the seventh straight win for the Zips, who are now 19-10 and 9-5 in the Mid-American Conference.

UA defeated The University of Buffalo (16-11, 7-7 MAC) 69-60 before a crowd of 3,688 on senior night at James A. Rhodes Arena, as junior forward Nikola Cvetinovic led the Zips with 22 points.

Cvetinovic scored 14 of his points in the second half, finishing the game 6-of-10 from the field and 10-of-11 from the free throw line, while picking up four rebounds and two steals.

I thought the first half was one of Nik’s worst all year, said UA Head Coach Keith Dambrot. He was just bad defensively, running around taking gambles, but the old Nik wouldn’t have rallied himself but the new Nik did.

Going into halftime, the Zips led 35-34 but would come out in the second half and score seven points, putting the score up to 42-34 after a Cvetinovic layup.

A lay-up by Buffalo’s Michael Mitchell ended the Zips’ early run, but Akron responded with a pair of three-pointers from guard Steve McNees and forward Brett McKnight, extending the lead 48-36, the largest lead of the night.  

That was a very physical game like it always is with Buffalo, said Dambrot. Their toughness level is unmatched in this league, and I thought at times it was a good game for us down the line because we’re going to have to play in games like this to win this thing.

A 9-0 run by Buffalo capped by a three-point shot from Zach Filzen cut the Zips’ lead to 48-45 with 11:28 to play. Jarod Oldham hit another three-point shot with 8:24 remaining to cut the lead to 55-53.

The next time down the floor, UA responded with an Alex Abreu three-pointer, bumping the lead back to five with 8:10 left to play, and giving the Zips the lead for the rest of the game.

Brett McClanahan nailed a three-pointer with 23 seconds remaining to push the score to 67-60, while Cvetinovic sank two out of three free throws with seven seconds left on the clock to secure the lead.

Leading UB offensively was Javon McCrea with 23 points as Buffalo lost their fourth straight game out their last five.

On Saturday, center Zeke Marshall tied former Zip Romeo Travis for the program’s single-season blocks record with 65, recording only one in this game.

Akron honored its four seniors before the game- center Mike Bardo, guard Darryl Roberts, guard McNees and forward McKinght in senior night festivities.

I love this school, and I have really enjoyed my five years here, said McNees. It was nice to get this win tonight, especially playing in a game that counts as much as this one does.

During halftime, UA honored Alex Adams, who played from 1958-1961, retiring his No. 55 jersey. Adams ranks among the top 10 in program history in points (ninth with 1,422 points) and rebounds (seventh with 872 boards).

The Zips will conclude their regular season this week when they take on the Ohio Bobcats on Tuesday at the Ohio University Convocation Center at 7 p.m. Akron will also take on rival Kent State this Friday at 7 p.m.

” #1.2029405:3701855668.JPG:Steve McNees:Steve McNees was one of four seniors honored Saturday night at Rhodes Arena. The Zips will lose McNees along with Mike Bardo, Brett McKnight and Darryl Roberts following their senior seasons.:Wallace Ball”