Campus provides great atmosphere

“Thousands of students will flood campus Aug. 25 and each will need a place to eat, study and relax. Luckily, the University of Akron is prepared to provide everyone with ample space and facilities to do so in whatever manner they choose. Students have at their disposal green spaces and quiet places throughout campus.”

Thousands of students will flood campus Aug. 25 and each will need a place to eat, study and relax.

Luckily, the University of Akron is prepared to provide everyone with ample space and facilities to do so in whatever manner they choose.

Students have at their disposal green spaces and quiet places throughout campus.

Bierce Library provides students with many places to sit in silence or talk to friends, and current construction of a garden area where Carroll Hall used to stand gives the option to be outside, enjoy warm weather and relax.

We hope that students find this a relaxing place as well as a place that they can study, Interim Head of the Circulation Department in Bierce Library, Melanie Smith said. Students can e-mail and IM, read newspapers or magazines, surf the web for leisure or even put together one of the jigsaw puzzles that students bring to share.

But not all of Bierce is designed to relax or keep students occupied.

According to Smith, campus libraries are prepared to give students the peace and quiet they need.

The third floor of Bierce and most of the Science and Technology Library has been designated as quiet study, Smith said. Bierce also has semi-enclosed study carrels around the perimeter of the second and third floors for students who want more privacy and a sense of being enclosed.

All other floors of Bierce Library are set up as group study areas where students are encouraged to talk and work together.

For students who wish to take advantage of beautiful Northeast Ohio weather while it lasts can choose to find one of many outdoor green spaces UA has placed around campus.

We have created relaxation and seating areas starting from College Street adjacent to the Arts and Science Building extending to the West side of the North Campus Parking Deck to the Polymer Building area, outside Student Union and numerous other places, Vice President for Capital Planning and Physical Facilities, Ted Curtis said. I would say we probably have over two-dozen places to relax and even now if one would desire to sit on the ground and lean against a tree.

While Curtis said he does not have the luxury to get away, but if he could, Curtis knows where he would go. I would hang out around the Student Union.  Either on the concrete walls or the Graham Garden on the north side of the Student Union, he said.

Curtis also suggested relaxing in one of UA’s 16 outdoor garden areas or at the Rec Center or Polskys Building. One can lounge without spending money if one can allow the mind to have power over the stomach, he said.

But if a grumbling stomach overcomes a relaxing student, UA is ready for them too. A coffee shop just inside the Library sells soups, sandwiches, salads and pastries along with drinks and snacks.

Library users may eat or drink anywhere in the Science and Technology or in Bierce Library, Smith said.

The university’s other options for grabbing a fast bite to eat can be found at the Student Union, the Rec. Center, the Polskys Building and the newly remodeled Rob’s Cafe.

However, Curtis says economic constraints make cheap eating difficult.

As far as eating for cheap, it seems like some of the environmental efforts such as ethanol has increased food prices to the point where eating for cheap is non-existent.

While prices may go up, those who pack a lunch can still find many scenic and comfortable areas to relax.

The four-story atrium in the Arts and Sciences building creates a wonderful area, and let’s not forget the amphitheater just outside that theater that is very quiet with a serene setting, Curtis said. The Coleman Green located in the College Street oval, north of Buchtel Hall in between the Arts and Sciences Building and the Honors Student Housing has some good areas. 

On the south side of the west leg of the Honors Student Housing is a grass hill that is secluded and quiet. Also the new Coleman Commons now being constructed including over three acres of green is going to result in another relaxing and serene atmosphere.

When weather forces students inside, Smith offers her favorite place to relax.

I would, and do, go to the third floor vending room in Bierce because it has a lot of natural light from a bank of windows, Smith said. It has plenty of tables where I can spread out to eat my lunch and read a book.

Smith said besides books, periodicals, government documents and audio-visual academic resources, students can find more entertaining options to check out.

Students can check out a CD or a DVD from media services and play it on one of the 180 laptop computers available for check out.

According to Smith, headphones are available for purchase in Bierce to use with laptops if students do not have their own.

” #1.1360992:2591176307.jpg:garden_location_map_bw.jpg:A detailed map of the gardens and buildings showing areas where students can study or just hang out.:”