Caillat wows crowd at E.J.

“As final’s week approaches students at the University of Akron were given an early study break in the form of Colbie Caillat. Caillat played to a sold out E.J. Thomas Hall Tuesday night along with opening act Jason Reeves. Iowa City native, Reeves seems like a cross between John Mayer and Jason Mraz with his catchy beats and honest lyrics.”

As final’s week approaches students at the University of Akron were given an early study break in the form of Colbie Caillat.

Caillat played to a sold out E.J. Thomas Hall Tuesday night along with opening act Jason Reeves.

Iowa City native, Reeves seems like a cross between John Mayer and Jason Mraz with his catchy beats and honest lyrics.

With songs like Just Friends and Someone Somewhere, Reeves grabbed the audiences attention and did not let go until he left the stage.

Various members of the audience found themselves tapping their feet or bobbing their heads to the songs.

Reeves said he started playing music at a young age.

My mom made me start playing piano when I was five, he said. Piano lessons were followed by drums in junior high school and finally learning to play the guitar at 17-years old.

He said that he did not have a chance to get out and see Akron or any of the campus while here.

We just literally drive in, play and drive out, Reeves said.

Reeves admitted he was not a big fan of Ohio State.

I’m just trying to be honest, the soft-spoken musician said. A lot of people are afraid to be honest and it comes across as being reserved and holding things back. I try not to do that.

He said that his songs are often pulled from real life situations; writing has become more than just an outlet for his feelings.

I look to my life and they are very literal, he said.

I don’t think I could write them if I wasn’t feeling exactly what I was writing about.

Caillat took the stage after praying backstage with her band.

She played while the audience, both men and the women, called Hey, Girl, Hey and Are you single?

Her set was simple.

Paper lanterns lit the stage and a sign hung behind her stating her name.

She played a mix of upbeat tunes and slow songs from her debut album Coco, and dressed relaxed to match the mood of the evening.

In a flowing dress and high heeled boots, Caillat thrilled fans with covers of both Bob Marley’s Turn the Lights Down and Jackson 5’s I Want You Back.

Caillat admitted I Want You Back was something her band learned but she had not gotten all of the lyrics memorized just yet.

The audience responded by standing and dancing along to the upbeat song.

Often the California native could be seen swaying to the beat as her band embarked on an extensive jam session.

Caillat brought out her touring mate Reeves for a two song set.

Reeves joined Caillat on stage for her latest song to hit airwaves, Realize.

Reeves told the story of his friend falling in love with Caillat and how perfect he believed they were for each other.

She closed with Magic, a good way to classify the night for various locals.