Healthy Thanksgiving eating: it's possible

“Have you ever planned to eat healthy during Thanksgiving but failed miserably once you saw your aunt’s famous sweet potato casserole or your grandma’s pumpkin-cheesecake pie? Then read on for some tips and tricks so you will not be as remorseful about your choices on Black Friday.”

Have you ever planned to eat healthy during Thanksgiving but failed miserably once you saw your aunt’s famous sweet potato casserole or your grandma’s pumpkin-cheesecake pie? Then read on for some tips and tricks so you will not be as remorseful about your choices on Black Friday.

1.Eat Before Dinner: Going to the table hungry will make you more likely to choose larger portion sizes and more decadent foods. Make sure to eat a low calorie breakfast such as a bowl of whole-grain cereal with low-fat milk. Then have a light snack like a piece of fruit a couple hours before dinner.

2.Eat Slowly: It takes 20 minutes for your brain to register that you’re full. Take a second to look at every bite before you eat it to help you keep a mental checklist of how much you’re consuming. Put your fork down between bites, and savor each mouthful to better enjoy your meal.

3. Watch your portions: If you find yourself wanting to heap a huge pile of food on your plate, stop yourself and resist. Start by having only a small portion of each option to prevent yourself from over eating.

4. Eat the Special Stuff: Don’t set yourself up for failure by depriving yourself of the special foods that are served only on Thanksgiving. Instead fill your plate with small portions of holiday favorites that only come around once a year. Be careful not to eat large portions of food you can eat everyday.

5. No Seconds: Consider this your one shot. Fill up your plate with anything you want, no matter how unhealthy it may be and get it all in one go.

6. Get in the game: There are more ways to spend time with family on Thanksgiving than just sitting around eating. Go for a walk or get a game of touch football going after dinner. Or help clear the table and wash the dishes to get brownie points and burn a few more calories.

7. Don’t stress about weight gain: The holidays and stress go hand in hand. Myth holds that people put on five to seven pounds during the holidays. However, the average weight gain during the six-week span from Thanksgiving to New Year’s is just under one pound, according to a study published in The New England Journal of Medicine.

The key to a guilt free Thanksgiving is everything in moderation. Keep up your exercise plan, and try to make Thanksgiving a day more about family and friends than food. You’ll be thankful you did in the upcoming months.