Women need no introduction

“I’m a talker by nature. I have opinions, tons of them. But when I was asked if I would write opinion articles for the Buchtelite, all my opinions vanished. What was I going to write about? I had to revert to the ‘ole writing rule of thumb: write what you know.”

I’m a talker by nature.

I have opinions, tons of them.

But when I was asked if I would write opinion articles for the Buchtelite, all my opinions vanished.

What was I going to write about?

I had to revert to the ‘ole writing rule of thumb: write what you know.

I’ve been a graduate teaching assistant in the women’s studies program since fall of 2007.

Since then I’ve been both its consumer and its consumed.

It has become a passion, an area of interest and, occasionally, a philosophy to live and learn by.

Women’s studies is what I know.

Naturally, I thought, why not make my contributions to the Buchtelite a series of articles covering topics that may be of interest to female students at The University of Akron.

After all, women make up just a little more than 50 percent of the student body.

According to The University of Akron’s Institutional Research Enrollment Summary for Fall 2009 (www.uakron.edu/ir/reports.php), female enrollment was 14,358, just slightly passing male enrollment at 13,553.

With half the university’s students being female, I think the Buchtelite ought to provide regular coverage of relevant women’s issues.

Nevertheless, this series of articles is not meant to exclude anyone.

Whatever issues I examine, I hope to make them accessible, interesting and, hopefully, relevant to any reader regardless of gender.

Currently I’m considering covering topics such as, the women’s studies program, Eve Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues, campus supports for women, women’s history month, reproductive rights and sexual assault.

However, this is simply a list of things that I believe matter and worth discussing.

I may be the one whose name appears in print, the one who was asked to share my opinion, but mine is not the only one that exists or should be considered.

I want to cover topics that will foster reaction and thus, response.

A one-sided conversation is, well, not a conversation at all.

Whatever it is I approach, I hope it will invoke in readers a sense of urgency to respond, to write into the Buchtelite and engage in meaningful conversation. Starting now.

I’ve introduced myself and the purpose for this opinion series.

Now consider this article a call for recommendations and suggestions.

What issues do you think should be commented on? Write in to [email protected] with your suggestions of topics worth discussing and let’s start talking.