Brookhart out as Zips head coach

“Tom Wistrcill, the University of Akron Director of Athletics, announced Nov. 28 that head football coach J.D. Brookhart and his staff have been relieved of their duties following a season, which saw the Zips go 3-9 overall and 2-6 in the MAC Conference. UA will begin a national search for his replacement immediately.”

Tom Wistrcill, the University of Akron Director of Athletics, announced Nov. 28 that head football coach J.D. Brookhart and his staff have been relieved of their duties following a season, which saw the Zips go 3-9 overall and 2-6 in the MAC Conference.

UA will begin a national search for his replacement immediately.

Late last night, I asked for and received support from Dr. Luis Proenza in making a change in the leadership for the football program, Wistrcill said. Earlier today, I spoke with coach Brookhart and informed him of my decision to take the football program in a new direction.

These types of decisions are never easy because of the people involved. Coach Brookhart and his staff have accomplished things never before done at Akron. We are thankful of coach Brookhart for his dedicated service, his relationships with the student-athletes and for his passion while here at the university.

During his tenure as the Zips head coach from 2004-09, Brookhart was 30-42 overall (.417 win percentage) and 22-26 in the MAC (.458 win percentage) including the MAC Coach of the Year award in 2004 and a MAC Championship in 2005, which led to Akron’s first trip to a bowl game as a Division I program.

In 2006, the Zips defeated the North Carolina State University Wolfpack to give the program its first win over a BCS (Bowl Championship Series) program.

Since 2005, however, the Zips have suffered through four straight losing seasons.

Many factors played into this decision and certainly our win-loss record this year was one of them, Wistrcill said. Also, the program now has four straight below .500 records in Mid-American Conference play.

That is not reflective of the level of commitment the university has made to this program. It is time for a new vision and a new voice.

Wistrcill said the Athletic Department will move quickly in pursuit of the best coach possible for The University of Akron.

Today is a new beginning for Akron football, Wistrcill said. We have got a lot to be excited about.

The opening of InfoCision Stadium-Summa Field has breathed new life into our entire campus and especially our athletic program. Now we have the opportunity to reignite fan enthusiasm in Akron football with a new head coach.