Akron student faces charges

“On June 30, 2008, five criminal charges were filed against University of Akron student Ashley Dulaney. The charges came from the Summit County Court of Common Pleas and were filed by the University of Akron. Dulaney was charged with one count of Grand Theft and four different counts of Misuse of Credit Cards.”

On June 30, 2008, five criminal charges were filed against University of Akron student Ashley Dulaney.

The charges came from the Summit County Court of Common Pleas and were filed by the University of Akron.

Dulaney was charged with one count of Grand Theft and four different counts of Misuse of Credit Cards.

The single charge of Grand Theft is a fourth degree felony and can be punishable to the sum of a $5,000 fine and six to 18 months of incarceration.

The Misuses of Credit Card charges are fifth degree felonies that can each be punishable by $2,500 fine and from six months to a year of incarceration.

University of Akron Police Chief Paul Callahan, explained what allegedly happened.

Around the 21 of June 2007, Ms. Dulaney had received a Zip card from a friend that worked as a tour guide for the university, Callahan said. The card was loaded with a small amount of money on it, but every week it was automatically reloaded with $300. The card was being continuously reloaded because of a computer glitch.

Dulaney had been using the card from around June 21, 2007, until around June 29, 2008, Callaan said. Over that year, Ms. Dulaney spent $15,423. She bought a number of different items, including gift cards.

Chief Callahan went on to say, The glitch was finally noticed during an audit.

Police used the information from the card’s usage to lead to Dulaney.

Head director of Residence Life and Housing, John Messina was able to comment on the case.

The department of Residence Life and Housing fully supports the action taken by the University of Akron Police Department and The City of Akron Police Department, Messina said. It is unfortunate that the student chose those actions.

Messina went on to add that, the department will work with the Zip card office, UAPD and any other university office in the appropriate actions regarding allegations of misconduct.

Patty Chapman of The Zip card office offered some advice on what a student could do to help prevent fraudulent purchases on their zip card.

If a Zip card is lost or stolen the person should report and cancel the card immediately. The person can do this a couple of different ways, Chapman said. They could go online to www.uakron.edu/zipcard, they could go to any of the Zip card offices around campus, or call the Zip card offices to cancel all future transactions. If someone should find a Zip card they should turn it into any one of the Zip card offices or turn it in to the University Police Department.

She also suggested that students check their balance either online or at one of the Zip card offices on campus.

The outcome of this case is still uncertain because it is still going through the Summit County court system.

Dunaley could be facing expulsion from The University of Akron and even jail time. Chief Callahan offered simple advice to avoid being in a similar situation,

Do not accept a Zip card or any other credit card from anyone.