Veterans celebrated on campus

By Forrest Dukes

As the leaves fall and the weather gets colder with each morning, November brings something special to this nation of ours.

For UA, November is another chance for the community to stop, think and celebrate the men and women in the armed forces and all they have done protecting this country through The University of Akron’s Veterans Week, Nov. 2 through Nov. 11.

Students at The University of Akron show their appreciation to military personnel they know either through siblings, dating or friendships with the nation’s heroes.

Eric Zito, a junior psychology major, revealed that his brother, John Zito, a lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps, went overseas to Iran.

“The hardest part of his deployment was knowing that he was away and could possibly get hurt, but overall I am extremely proud of my brother and all he has done through his services,” Eric said.

Jessica Rudolph is a student at UA studying education. She is in a relationship with Bobby Fair, a corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps. They have been going out for a year but have known each other since kindergarten. DSC_0008

“Not getting to talk to your best friend can take a toll on you. The one thing that helps is knowing how much he loves me … and how great a thing he is doing by serving his country,” she said.

Rudolph also said that the few times they do talk, their conversations are simple and focus on topics such as the weather or how each was doing and coping with their time apart. They always end with “I love you” or “Stay safe and take care.”

Throughout the week, UA is hosting these military personnel as they display their experience within the service. The week will end on Monday with a talk from Terry Gould, a UA alumnus and U.S. Navy veteran. He is also the author of the book “How Can You Mend This Purple Heart?”

Other events taking place on Monday include a Veterans Day outdoor ceremony with a 21-gun salute at 10:45 a.m. at the Buchtel Hall flag pole and a ceremonial continental breakfast at 8 a.m. in the Student Union.

For more details on UA’s Veterans Week and the full list of events, go to uakron.edu/studentlife.