Start your break without any stress

By Alexa Lago, Opinion Editor

The end is near! That’s right, another semester is over and it’s nothing but eggnog, long naps and freedom ahead. For some students, a well-deserved and restful break is just over the horizon, and for others graduation is finally here.

But before students settle into comfy sweats, Netflix marathons and holiday bliss, they shouldn’t forget to end their semester right.

Don’t forget about textbooks

Whether students have rented their books from the university’s bookstore or another outlet like Amazon, they need to be returned before break. The UA bookstore’s due date for text books is Dec. 16, and students can be charged for the textbook’s replacement and a processing fee if they miss the due date.

Students should also try to sell their textbooks back. The bookstore will give students up to 50 percent of their cash back for their used textbooks at the end of the semester.

Even if it’s not a lot of money, any amount can be put towards next semester’s books or go toward Christmas gifts. You could also go another route and buy a kick-ass gift for yourself. The possibilities are endless.

Don’t forget to check up on next semester’s textbook list as well. The earlier students place their orders, the better chance they have at getting used books. It also helps to know how much money they need to keep in their savings account for books over the break.

Don’t forget to pack 

Whether it brings residential students joy or pain, it’s time to pack up and head back home for winter break. Dec. 15 is moving-out day, so don’t forget to pack up.  Between cram sessions it’s probably a good idea to take a break, get your room in order and get ready for the journey home.

Get your things organized and packed up early so you can save yourself the hassle later and spend your last night on campus having fun. Also, don’t forget to make arrangements for someone to come retrieve you and your things.

Make sure everything is in order

It can’t hurt students to look ahead and save themselves the worry over break. Make sure that your schedule for next semester is correct, and if for some reason you haven’t scheduled yet, get on it now. The last thing you want to do is come back from break with a screwed up or crappy
schedule.

Students also should check their accounts for any holds or issue so they can visit an adviser and get it sorted out ASAP. It can’t hurt to also check up or plan ahead for living arrangements for next semester, to ensure that students have somewhere to stay.

Though it seems like a waste of time now, it could save students tons of hassle and time over break. Figure it out now, so you can kick back and relax worry-free.

Studying is a must

This is pretty much a no-brainer, but anticipation for the well-deserved break ahead can get in the way. Create a study schedule or a list of everything left to do and mark it off as you go.

Stay organized and prepared and everything should go well. Also, try not to stress too much. Relax, focus and before you know it, finals week will be over.

These last few reminders and tips can help students end their semester right. Once the books are returned, the dorm rooms are packed up and finals are over, look forward to having an enjoyable break, a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year.