Graphic courtesy of Liv Ream; movie flyer from IMDB
In defense of Skinamarink
By Liv Ream, Arts and Entertainment Editor • October 1, 2023
Alternative Spring Break 2023 volunteers in Washington, D.C. Courtesy of Natalie Mowad.
Applications open for Akron’s 2024 Alternative Spring Break
By Taylor Lorence, Correspondent • October 1, 2023
The Northern Cheyenne tribe and community walking the ancient Portage Path from Portage Path CLC to the John Brown Home during a previous years First Peoples Day event. Photo courtesy of Portage Path Collaborative.
UA Holds events in celebration of North American First People’s Day   
By Shananne Lewis, Online Editor • September 28, 2023
White swan on water during daytime photo - Free Uk Image on Unsplash
The Swan's Rapture: a poem
By Emily Price, editor in chief • September 27, 2023
Desperately Seeking an Amazon Fighter, sculpture by Kimberly Chapman
"Easy Prey" art exhibit on display at Myers School of Art
By Taylor Lorence, Reporter, Secretary • September 21, 2023
“On the left, there’s me at work! I received the New Student Orientation “Gold Standard” award alongside 
and at the same time as my friend Gillian.”
Courtesy of Connor VanMaele
Fall 2023 Print Edition: Going the Distance
By Connor VanMaele, Correspondent • September 19, 2023
L to R: Steve Horner, Heather Barhorst, Haley Kuczynski, Shawna Blankenship, Brynley Harris, Jessie Redwine at the Pop-Up Pantry. Image Courtesy of ZipAssist.
ZipAssist Holds Community Resource Fair Tuesday, September 19 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the SU 2nd Floor
By Shananne Lewis, Correspondent • September 18, 2023
Film critic Liv Ream and friend pose for photo (Image via Liv Ream)
My Barbie experience
By Liv Ream, Film Critic • September 17, 2023

Mill Street bridge: Illumination stretching across campus

By: Lindsay Mulhollen

Many students may not remember when the Mill Street bridge was open three years ago; after seeing a total rebuild, the bridge is able to be used once again. One lane of traffic is open each way, as well as one sidewalk for pedestrian traffic; these parts of the bridge will remain open through the final stages of construction, which are mainly cosmetic.

A full rebuild was determined necessary due to the age and condition of the bridge, which was originally built in 1904 and had its last improvements in the 1950’s.

Students are glad the bridge was reopened, but irritated over the amount of time for which it remained closed.

“It was very inconvenient that it was closed,” Senior Sara Molnar said, who lived in Quaker through part of the time the bridge was out.

“Took them long enough,” senior Anthony Codispoti added.

The bridge was closed from Aug. 10, 2009 to Aug. 22, 2011 and was reopened for the start of the school year. Originally, the bridge was planned to reopen in the spring of 2010. The bridge connects Broadway to College Street and gives students another access point to downtown.

The new bridge will feature LED street lighting, a center arch that connects the Quaker Square surface parking lots and University of Akron motifs that will be etched onto the sidewalks at a later time.

Molnar feels safer with the new streetlights in place.

“With all the reports of crime around campus, even though they are mostly on south campus, lighted areas always make me feel safer when walking in the evening or night,” Molnar said.

Another senior, Josh Bane, stated “I’m excited the mill street bridge is open, but since the sidewalks still seem unfinished, I don’t feel safe crossing it as a pedestrian.”  Once this walkway is finished, perhaps the feeling of safety will increase for UA students when crossing this bridge.

The bridge was primarily funded by the federal government. With a project totaling roughly $10 million, about $6.3 million had come from stimulus funds; the University itself contributed $20,000.