Stadium shows progress

“Students at the University of Akron who do not reside under a rock have surely noticed the ever-present construction of the highly-touted Infocision Stadium. As with most major projects on college campuses, rumors and hearsay surrounding the stadium have circulated to the ears of many students and faculty.”

Students at the University of Akron who do not reside under a rock have surely noticed the ever-present construction of the highly-touted Infocision Stadium.

As with most major projects on college campuses, rumors and hearsay surrounding the stadium have circulated to the ears of many students and faculty.

Will the stadium’s appearance be different from what we’ve seen?

One rumor alleged that the stadium’s final appearance would contradict the computer-rendered images that the University released several months ago.  According to Ted Curtis, UA’s Vice President for Capital Planning, this is not true.

It’s going to look exactly like the renderings.  We haven’t changed anything.

Associate Athletic Director Hunter Yurachek agrees, adding that 95 percent of the design seen in the pictures will be unchanged.

Will there be enough parking spaces?

Though students may find it hard to believe, there are actually over 10,500 spaces on campus.  Game days and special events at the stadium will be scheduled to create the least conflict with classes as possible, maximizing parking space.

The earlier you get there the easier it is to park. Whether you’re going to class or going to a Browns game or a shopping center at Thanksgiving time, the earlier you get there the easier it is to park, advises Curtis.

Will tickets cost more next season?

The stadium’s original budget of $55 million was raised to $61.6 million in December, prompting more speculation that ticket prices would rise as quickly and as high as the stadium walls themselves.

Fortunately, that is not the case.  Though the new stadium will hold slightly less than the Rubber Bowl (30,000 vs. 30,100), officials expect a significant increase in attendance.  Season ticket prices may rise modestly, but most revenue will be drawn from premium, loge and individual club seating prices.

Why does the University need a stadium anyway?

In the end, University officials believe that Infocision Stadium will pay for itself in many different ways.

Yurachek understands that for athletic programs, a state-of-the-art stadium serves as an unbelievable recruiting tool for first-rate players.

Also, the new stadium helps draw big-name opponents to Akron, which brings better competition, more revenue and national attention to the program.

In addition to athletics, Infocision Stadium will serve the University by housing classrooms and tutoring areas that will be used throughout the week.   Camps, concerts and special events will have a modern and aesthetically appealing home on campus.

Infocision Stadium will undoubtedly offer much more to the University than could the 68 year-old Rubber Bowl, which Yurachek describes as an antiquated facility that we weren’t necessarily proud to take our recruits to.

However, many students will miss making treks to the Bowl on Saturdays, watching the Zips play under the occasional screeching of an airplane landing at Akron Fulton International Airport.

Ultimately, students at the University of Akron should the excitement of a new stadium on campus and all that it brings to the community.