IT team recognized by NEOSA

” For the second time, UA Information Technology Services was named IT Team of the Year for 2009 by the Northeast Ohio Software Association (NEOSA), on Nov. 10. The award, given out by the NEOSA, is based on the division’s work that demonstrated a commitment to excellence driven by innovative thinking and a strategic focus.”

For the second time, UA Information Technology Services was named IT Team of the Year for 2009 by the Northeast Ohio Software Association (NEOSA), on Nov. 10. The award, given out by the NEOSA, is based on the division’s work that demonstrated a commitment to excellence driven by innovative thinking and a strategic focus. The award recognizes Information Services commitment to student success as well as a dedication to outreach activities that improve the economic development of Northeast Ohio and the entire state.

The UA IT Services, named Team of the Year in the non-profit category, was selected by NEOSA in recognition of its strategic objectives of engaged leadership, enabling infrastructure, and seamless and secure access that empowers the university community, creates a collaborative environment and fosters engaged outreach. The award was presented to Jim Sage, VP Information Technology & CIO, during NEOSA’s CIO Forum. When presented with the award, NEOSA mentioned the team’s support of university students, faculty, staff, its engagement in community initiatives like Akron’s Wi-Fi and its leadership in developing shared services.

NEOSA, who presented the award, is an organization made up of more than 800 member organizations. It promotes the advancement of the Technology Community and IT Industry of Northeast Ohio.

The UA IT team currently is working to support University of Akron students, faculty and staff through a PeopleSoft upgrade and expanding the use of the learning management system. The PeopleSoft upgrade resulted in improved functionality and will save the university $800,000 annually. The learning management system is used by instructors to electronically deliver material to students. The IT team will also be setting up Facebook applications that prospective UA students can download, that will allow the university to stay in contact with these students. The UA IT Team was also involved in the design and implementation of the infrastructure to enable technology at the Infocision Stadium.

As well as being involved on campus, UA Information Technology Services is currently involved with creating a Wi-Fi network across the city of Akron.

I’m working with OneCommunity and the City of Akron to build a wireless network across the entire city. Many cities and organizations, including Cleveland and Case, have built networks, Sage said.

Two years ago in 2007, the university IT team also named IT Team of the Year, and at that time was the first university to do so.