Zips hault Flashes run at MAC East Title, win third consecutive Wagon Wheel

“A late Patrick Nicely touchdown pass to wide receiver Jeremy LaFrance proved to be the decisive blow as the University of Akron football team upset the Kent State University Golden Flashes 28-20 winning their third consecutive Wagon Wheel. The Zips improved their record to 2-7 overall and 1-4 in the MAC.”

A late Patrick Nicely touchdown pass to wide receiver Jeremy LaFrance proved to be the decisive blow as the University of Akron football team upset the Kent State University Golden Flashes 28-20 winning their third consecutive Wagon Wheel.

The Zips improved their record to 2-7 overall and 1-4 in the MAC.

With the loss on Nov. 7, the Flashes fell to 5-5 on the season, but, more importantly, the loss dropped KSU to 4-2 in the MAC placing them in third place in the MAC East.

Before the game, KSU was just a game behind the front running Temple University Owls, but now sit two games out.

I’ll just tell you what I told the team, I don’t think I’ve been as happy for a group of players as I’ve ever been for this group today to get what they deserved for awhile, Zips head coach J.D. Brookhart said. They’ve been through so much, to do what they’re doing with the resilience they’ve shown.

It’s emotional football. This is a big game for out program and it always is.

The Zips trailed early 3-0, but bounced back to put the first touchdown on the scoreboard when senior running back Alex Allen found the end zone from one yard out.

The touchdown was the first on the season for Allen.

Nicely, a freshman, made it 14-3 when he connected with LaFrance, a junior, for the first of the combinations two touchdowns.

The Flashes battled back to cut the lead 14-13, but senior wide receiver Andre Jones scored his first rushing touchdown on the season giving the Zips a 21-13 lead.

UA was led offensively by Nicely who completed 19 of 34 passes for 261 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

Patrick Nicely continues to get better, Brookhart said. He’s got a long way to go to become the great quarterback that he can be but great performance today.

The recipient of both Nicely touchdown passes was LaFrance who lead the Zips receiving corps with 126 receiving yards.

The second touchdown reception proved to be big as the Flashes scored late to cut the lead to eight at 28-20.

We had the momentum, Kent State had to catch us, Brookhart said. We were ahead and I told them we had to help our defense. Our offense had to control the ball a little bit more and we did that today.

The Zips held KSU from that point on to win their third consecutive Wagon Wheel game. With the win, UA is now 19-19-1 in Wagon Wheel games.

The Zips will look for their second straight win Nov. 13 when they take on the MAC East leading Temple Owls.

Kickoff is scheduled for 8:30 p.m.