Women's soccer ends season with loss to Miami in MAC Quarterfinal

“This was an exciting week for the Women’s Soccer team as they ended the regular season and they qualified for the MAC tournament quarterfinal and lost to division rival the Miami University RedHawks on Sunday. On Thursday, the Zips ended their regular season at Lee Jackson field, by defeating the Ohio University Bobcats (9-7-2) 1-0.”

This was an exciting week for the Women’s Soccer team as they ended the regular season and they qualified for the MAC tournament quarterfinal and lost to division rival the Miami University RedHawks on Sunday.

On Thursday, the Zips ended their regular season at Lee Jackson field, by defeating the Ohio University Bobcats (9-7-2) 1-0.

The Zips played very physical in the game on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball as they were on a mission to win the game from the minute the game kicked off.

It has been good for the team, Zips head coach Chris Pfau said.

The Ohio University Bobcats were led with two shots from Kim Nordtveit. Kelsey Pichel, Lauren Burke and Toye Famodu had one shot a piece.

Goaltending all 90 minutes for the Bobcats was Jess Maclean who had three saves for the game.

Zips Katie Wise scored the only goal of the game off a corner kick.

It was a good goal by Katie, Pfau said.

The goal was assisted by the Zips Kyra Petrole.

Jordan Clark and Jordan Baranowski had three shots a piece to lead the the Zips . Rachel Phillip had two shots in the game. Kate Ferrara, Britini Back, Ashley Hughes, Katie Wise and Jillion Chenot each had one shot.

Goaltending all 90 minutes for the Zips was Jeny Wolbert who had five saves for the game.

The Zips ended the regular season with a six game win streak.

We have had consistency, we have played good soccer, game in and game out, Pfau said.

At the end of the game the Zips found out they were going to the MAC tournament for the first time ever.

They need to enjoy this journey with the MAC tournament and have fun, Pfau said.

On Sunday the third seeded Zips hosted the MAC Tournament at Lee Jackson field to take on the sixth seeded Miami University RedHawks for the second time this season, (defeated the RedHawks on Oct. 16, 1-0).

The RedHawks were too much for the Zips to handle this time around and the Zips lost 2-0.

We had an incredible run and it was a fun season, Pfau said. Our team chemistry came together at just the right time and you could see that in the results. Also, I can’t thank the senior class enough. Each class wants to go through its time here and say it made the program better. This year’s group of seniors can definitely say that. We did many things this year that hadn’t ever been done by the program.

The Zips and the RedHawks were pretty even going into the half while neither team scored.

Within a minute of the second half the RedHawks Sara Lund found the net to put the Redhawks in the lead.

Later in the half the RedHawks Stephanie Laser scored the final goal of the game which put the RedHawks to a lead of 2-0. Assisting on the goal was Allison Berkey.

Jodi Zwingelberg had four shots for the RedHawks. Stephanie Laser and Sara Lund had three shots a piece. Julie Thompson had two shots for the game.

Jordan Clark, Kate Ferrara, Jordan Baranowski, Ashley Hughes, Britini Back and Andre Schweisthal had one shot each for the Zips. Kate Ferrara and Kyra Petrole had one shot on goal apiece.

Goaltending for the Zips was Jeny Wolbert who had four saves in the game.

The Zips end their season 9-7-2.