Students should be seen and not heard

“Library used to be synonymous with the word quiet. In Bierce Library’s policies, it states that, cell phone users are expected to limit the duration of their calls as well as control the auditory volume of the conversations, or in Layman’s terms, they are expected to keep calls short and quiet.”

Library used to be synonymous with the word quiet.

In Bierce Library’s policies, it states that, cell phone users are expected to limit the duration of their calls as well as control the auditory volume of the conversations, or in Layman’s terms, they are expected to keep calls short and quiet.

When students are studying in the library, writing a paper or borrowing a book, they should not be interrupted by others’ cell phone calls.

Simply answering a phone call is not the problem. Almost everyone has, at some time or another, had their phone ring or taken a call in the library.

A five minute conversation, however, is a bit too much, especially if one does not monitor their voice level.

Many library patrons are affected by loud phone conversations.

They probably do not want to hear you chat, especially if it is a private matter that is being discussed.

Even the most patient person can be embarrassed by another’s conversation.

You might try to shush the person on the phone, and the caller can respond in several ways, such as ending the conversation or talking more quietly.

Many other responses are more prevalent, however, such as eye rolls, a nasty look or even an exclamation of surprise that someone has the nerve to do such a thing.

It is not uncommon for students to raise their voice to get a friend’s attention or out of excitement in a conversation.

It is true that some floors in the library coincide with appropriate volume levels. Either way, boisterous conversations are both disruptive and rude.

It is simply not fair to impede on another’s right to use the library as intended.

Some important calls can come at inopportune times, but it is not those conversations that negatively influence the library’s atmosphere.

Before answering a call and carrying on a long, loud, rude conversation in the library, please consider the other people in the library.

Do not tie up a computer that could be used by someone else in order to take a phone call.

If a conversation is likely to take a while, consider taking the call outside.

The rest of the library patrons will appreciate it.