Zips welcome KSU to InfoCision for first time in 39th Wagon Wheel game

“The University of Akron football team will play another MAC Conference game Nov. 7, but this will not be just another MAC opponent. The Zips will welcome the rival Kent State University Golden Flashes to InfoCision Stadium – Summa Field for the first time ever in the 39th addition of the Wagon Wheel game.”

The University of Akron football team will play another MAC Conference game Nov. 7, but this will not be just another MAC opponent.

The Zips will welcome the rival Kent State University Golden Flashes to InfoCision Stadium – Summa Field for the first time ever in the 39th addition of the Wagon Wheel game.

The Flashes hold an advantage in the Wagon Wheel games with a record 19-18-1, but in the total 51 previous meetings, the Zips are 29-20-2.

UA has also won the last two Wagon Wheel games against Kent.

KSU heads to InfoCision Stadium in second place in the MAC East Division with a 5-4 record overall and a 4-1 record in the MAC.

The Zips enter having won last year’s Wagon Wheel game 30-27 in double overtime, but have lost six in a row including last week’s loss to the Northern Illinois University Huskies 27-10.

UA sits in last place in the MAC East with a 1-7 record overall and an 0-4 record in the MAC.

Our defense played extremely tough in the first half against Northern Illinois, Zips head coach J.D. Brookhart said. Offensively we did not play well. Being stopped on two third and shorts in the first half took the momentum away from us.

Defensively, we gave up some big runs that we haven’t been giving up all year, which resulted in being outscored 21-0 in the fourth quarter.

The Flashes offensive attack is lead by freshman quarterback Spencer Keith who, in eight games and four starts, has completed 120 of 204 passes for 1538 yards, 11 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

Kent hasn’t changed much since losing Eugene Jarvis they still have a good play action passes and receivers to go along with their running game, Brookhart said. Their quarterback can throw the ball well, obviously after throwing for 373 yards last week.

Keith is not elusive as Juilan Edelman was last year, but he can move.

Jacquise Terry has replaced senior running back Eugene Jarvis.

Terry, a sophomore, has rushed for 527 yards and four touchdowns on the season.

The Flashes also have a talented receiving corps that has seven players over 100 yards receiving, but Keith’s main two targets have been Tyshon Goode and Jameson Konz.

Goode, a freshman, leads all KSU receivers with 553 yards receiving and five touchdowns.

Konz, a senior, is second in receiving yards with 242 and tied for second in touchdowns with two.

The Zips will counter the Flash receiving corps with senior Andre Jones.

Jones is third on team with 297 receiving yards and two touchdowns – both coming in the last two weeks.

Jones was the recipient of an 80-yard touchdown pass Oct. 31 from running back Alex Allen – the Zips only touchdown against NIU.

After the amazing 80-yard touchdown pass by Alex Allen, we took a 10-6 lead but missed opportunities down the stretch to increase the lead, Brookhart said.

Freshman Patrick Nicely will get the start at quarterback for the Zips in the Wagon Wheel game.

On the season, Nicely has completed 53 of 109 passes for 613 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.

Patrick has a great talent level for a young quarterback, Brookhart said. He has to take advantage of the coaching he is given to become not just a talented quarterback, but a great college quarterback.

It is very hard for a freshman quarterback to play against the multiple schemes we see each week, but he is doing better each week. He is a touch kid that is willing to stand in the pocket in order to make the throw. So far he has been very impressive.

Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.