UA student finds home in politics

” Mike Rasor found himself crowded around a computer screen late Tuesday night patiently awaiting election results. While many may wait for these results to see if a bill has passed, Rasor was hoping to see his name as Stow City Council member. Rasor, a University of Akron Law student, ran for a seat on the city council, something that he proved to be successful at.”

Mike Rasor found himself crowded around a computer screen late Tuesday night patiently awaiting election results. While many may wait for these results to see if a bill has passed, Rasor was hoping to see his name as Stow City Council member.

Rasor, a University of Akron Law student, ran for a seat on the city council, something that he proved to be successful at.

I went to stow high and as I went through my higher education at Akron and in my 3rd year in law school I paid attention to stow politics, he said.

I have been very disappointed with the decisions I have seen and there are people who sit and whine and talk to their neighbors about what everybody is doing wrong and there’s the people who do something about it.

His motivation was simple, No one has run a campaign where they have challenge the incumbents on their decisions. That was something that I thought I could do.

Rasor admitted that he had a few things going for him that the incumbents didn’t have.

I used technology that they had not used before, he said pointing to his Web site and blog that was updated daily.

We had a lot of man power, technology and a fresh message.

At first heading into the election he said he wanted to get a feel for running and going through the process. But he said he began to get into the race.

Heading into election night I thought there was a pretty good chance I would win. But I had no idea that I would take first place, and that I would beat everybody else by almost 500 votes. He admitting that an experience such as this was a humbling one for him.

The thing that he thinks sets him apart from the opponents is his energy.

I have a lot of energy, he said. I think that’s what people are seeing from me. Noting that he knocked on 2800 doors.

I worked really hard on the campaign but that is only a preview of how hard I am going to work if I win.

Rasor, a former editor-in-chief of the Buchtelite, stated that his higher education was a good starting place for him.

Communication is so big in politics. People in politics don’t know how to communicate, they think at a different level than the voters, he said.

For journalism you write for a sixth grade level and you have to communicate that way. Don’t try and use big words and don’t try and confuse them talk to them like your having a beer with them.

Law school helped him see through the clichés and rhetoric politicians often use.

I always had faith in my background, he said. Rasor, the current editor-in-chief of the Akron Law Review, believed that getting his background out there are and meet as many people as he could he stood a chance.

Out of all of this he had advice for fellow students at UA who may be thinking about stepping into the political ring.

Our generation is so politically inactive, but anyone can jump in and make changes if they are willing to work at it, he said.

With that idea any single student at UA could be the next one to be crowded around the computer on election hoping to see their name appear as the winner.