One of a kind psychology archives call Akron home

” Students will have the opportunity to see rare home movie footage of Sigmund Freud when an affiliate of the Smithsonian Museum opens its doors on Wednesday. The Archives of the History of American Psychology will hold a joint open house with Archival Services in the Polsky building lower level atrium.”

Students will have the opportunity to see rare home movie footage of Sigmund Freud when an affiliate of the Smithsonian Museum opens its doors on Wednesday.

The Archives of the History of American Psychology will hold a joint open house with Archival Services in the Polsky building lower level atrium. The archives will be open to the public for tours from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The archives houses more than 750 psychology manuscripts. The collection includes many books as old as the 15th century and historical devices of psychology, such as the original Milgram simulated shock generator and items from the Zimbardo Stanford Prison Experiment. The home movie of Sigmund Freud shows him at his home with his family.

The archives has worked with George Lucas, the History Channel and the Discovery Channel. It has also been featured in the New York Times.

The Archives of the History of American Psychology is the only one of its kind in the world. It was established at UA in 1965 and has been an affiliate of the Smithsonian Museum since 2002.

There is a rigorous selection process to become an affiliate. Representatives did a sight visit to determine the archives’ worthiness. Because the Archives of the History of American Psychology is an affiliate, they can use the logo and letterhead of the Smithsonian.

Being an affiliate of the Smithsonian lends a sense of prestige to the archives, Dorothy Gruich, senior archives associate at the archives said.

Eventually when the archives has its own building, it will be able to borrow material from the Smithsonian to put on display.

The archives will move to the old Roadway building by East High School.

The building was donated by the Roadway company to the archives for the sole purpose of developing a Center for the History of Psychology. The goal of the archives is to become The Center for the History of Psychology. With this title change, the center would have different components like a museum space that is self-guided.

They will break ground and renovate the building in December and will possibly move in by next September.