School of Communication offers intensive media program

CMIP will give students the opportunity to gain several valuable skills in just one semester.

The University of Akron School of Communication

By Mary C. Barrett, Writer

This past week, The University of Akron’s School of Communication held two open houses for a brand new program funded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation Grant. The Converged Media Immersion Program (CMIP) will be offered this spring and will allow students to learn and develop a wide range of media skills beneficial to their futures no matter what profession they choose to pursue.

The course will require 15 media credit hours and be taught by a team of four professors: Juan Contreras, Julie Cajigas, Val Pipps, and Nancy Sinning. Each specialize in specific aspects of media spanning from video and audio production, to social media, to media writing.

Students who attended one of the two open houses were able to get a sense of what the program will incorporate as well as a chance to get to know the team of professors. All of the professors shared parts of their own backgrounds in the multimedia field. Additionally, the professors explained why the program was so beneficial to students’ careers and fields of study.

Julie Cajigas stated, “[CMIP] is analogous to an immersion trip in Mexico.” Students obtain a lifelong set of skills and experiences similar to studying abroad for a semester. The program provides “real world” field experiences based on group interests that will prepare students for their future careers and provide them with multimedia skills.

By acquiring the multimedia skills taught in CMIP, students have the opportunity to increase their chances of gaining employment after graduation in the competitive job market. This brand new program at UA is a fresh, modern way to expand a student’s skills and give them the edge they need to succeed.