Women's soccer set for Buffalo, Kent State over weekend

“The women’s soccer team dominated for the seniors on senior weekend. The Zips (6-6-2) still have to take on the Buffalo Bulls (3-12-1) and arch rival the Kent State Golden Flashes (7-6-2) this weekend. Our motivation is that we are still not guaranteed a playoff spot, Zips head coach Chris Pfau said.”

The women’s soccer team dominated for the seniors on senior weekend.

The Zips (6-6-2) still have to take on the Buffalo Bulls (3-12-1) and arch rival the Kent State Golden Flashes (7-6-2) this weekend.

Our motivation is that we are still not guaranteed a playoff spot, Zips head coach Chris Pfau said.

On Sunday the Zips took on the Miami University Redhawks (8-6-1) and won 1-0. Kate Ferrara scored the Zips only goal.

On Sunday the Zips dominated the Ball State Cardinals (4-11-0) winning 3-0.

The Zips’ Rachel Phillip dominated the offensive attack while scoring two goals and Andrea Schweisthal had the other goal for the Zips.

This Friday the Zips will travel to Buffalo to take on the Bulls (2-5-1/Conference play). The Bulls are coming off two losses.

On Friday the Bulls took on the Toledo Rockets and lost 3-1. On Sunday the Bulls lost to Bowling Green State Falcons 1-0.

Key players for the Bulls are Stephanie Velez who leads the team in goals with five goals, Taylor Thompson and Lindsey Bailey who lead the Bulls with two assists each. Aubrey Stahl has 21 shots for the season.

Goaltender Amy Coron has 105 saves for the Bulls this season.

Team stats for the Bulls are 10 goals, nine assists, 29 points, and 139 shots for the season.

On Sunday the Zips come back to Ohio to take on the Kent State Golden Flashes (3-3-2/conference play).

The Golden Flashes are coming off a 0-0 tie Friday against the Bowling Green State Falcons and a double overtime loss this past Sunday to the Toledo Rockets 3-2.

Key players for the Golden Flashes are Kellyn Flanagan and Vanessa Salerno who lead the Golden Flashes with goals with four a piece. Annie Messer leads the Golden Flashes with four assists. Kelly Heaton has 32 shots for the season.

Goaltender for the Golden Flashes is Kelly Sherwood who has 53 saves for the season.

Team stats for the Golden Flashes are 18 goals, 14 assists, 50 points, and 236 shots.

The Zips are going into this weekend with a three game win streak.

Goaltender Jeny Wolbert only let one goal get past her over the three game win streak. For the season Wolbert has 57 saves.

Jeny has been playing with a lot of confidence and her training has improved a 100 percent and that has paid off in games, Pfau said.

Another key player for the Zips this season has been forward Rachel Phillip who leads the Zips in goals with five and shots with 34.

She has had a great season and has created a lot of opportunities for herself, Pfau said. I have been very happy with her and her season, it is good that she has scored the last couple of games and hopefully she will finish out the season playing at that level.

Other key players for the Zips this season are Britini Back and Alysia Virkler who have two goals apiece, Ashley Hughes who have 17 shots, and Jordan Baranowski who has two assists.

As the season has progressed the Zips have improved offensively. The Zips scored four goals alone just this past weekend.

We have created opportunities and I believe we are now they are just going in, Pfau said But we still need to keep focused on offense, knowing that we cannot take that for granted.

Season stats for the Zips are 14 goals, eleven assists, 39 points, and 148 shots.

The Zips have one more home game this season on Thursday Oct. 29 against the Ohio Bobcats.