Inventive costume ideas

“As you all should know by now, this Saturday is Halloween, which means lots of fattening candies, hordes of screaming children and most importantly, costume parties! Because Halloween is the one of the few times during the year when one can truly embrace their inner fantasies and transform into anyone they wish to be, it is paramount to choose the right disguise.”

As you all should know by now, this Saturday is Halloween, which means lots of fattening candies, hordes of screaming children and most importantly, costume parties!

Because Halloween is the one of the few times during the year when one can truly embrace their inner fantasies and transform into anyone they wish to be, it is paramount to choose the right disguise.

Also, due to the fact that, more than anything, costume soirées are about dressing to impress, and usually to draw attention to oneself in a flattering manner, the more alluring the costume, the better.

In case you are having difficulties, which many of us do, here is a breakdown of some fun, sexy and creative costume ideas for women, men and groups.

Women: Girls, if you learned anything from the film Mean Girls, it should have been the fantastic philosophy that Halloween is the one and only night during the year when it is totally acceptable to dress up like a total slut. Anything skintight, short, slit, sequined or sheer is fair game.

If one wants to be a nurse, it is always better to be a naughty nurse. If one feels the urge to be a creature of some sort, it’s not about actually resembling an animal, but about throwing oneself into the skimpiest outfit possible and simply adding a headpiece.

In addition, dressing up as any pop culture vixen is always a good route, as the look can be sinister but still sultry.

Catwoman is a never-fail empowering costume that always incites desire in the guys and jealousy in other women.

While a patent leather or PVC catsuit is ideal, one can equally capture the essence of the feline femme fatale with an opaque black leotard or body suit, black sheer tights, black stilettos, cat ears and a tail.

Men: Like women, men should also try to avoid frightening, unbecoming costumes. While scary and grotesque guises are relevant at the haunted house, they are a bit unnecessary at public social events.

Instead, guys should opt for masculine, heroic getups, particularly superheroes, knights, military men, gangsters and cowboys.

If one must go as someone spooky, though, there is a suave, sophisticated way to do it without resorting to the tacky, over-done ghostface look.

Arguably the hottest serial killer ever, the fictional character Patrick Bateman of Bret Easton Ellis’s cult classic novel American Psycho wears a business suit rather than a ratty-tatty over garment.

Any guy can instantly metamorphize into Mr. Batemen by merely slicking his hair back, sporting a crisp Oxford, suit, tie and carrying a machete covered in fake blood.

Group: Group costumes can always be fun and clever if done right, so if you have a couple of friends who are game, here is the perfect group costume idea that is sure to turn heads.

Now a reality TV landmark, Charm School took the trashiest, raunchiest, most wacky females from all of the VH-1 dating shows and put them together in same house.

What better way is there to make a scene and induce laughter than showing up at a costume party with two of your girl friends dressed like these bawdy, obnoxious trainwrecks?

All that is needed are long, messy, entangled weaves, super-micro mini pleated skirts, shrunken navy blue blazers, lacy animal print bras, pairs of towering Lucite heels, pairs of knee socks and name-tags labeled with monikers ending in I or just spelled oddly, like Shandi, Brandi or Ashleigh.

Cake make-up and props, particularly Brittaney Starr’s infamous headphones, are optional, but would surely add to the over-all look and make it more authentic.