UA program helps international students

UAs Cultural Partner Program allows students to make friendships that cross international borders.

UA Office of International Programs

UA’s Cultural Partner Program allows students to make friendships that cross international borders.

By Michelle DeShon, Writer

The Cultural Partner Program is an initiative at The University of Akron that pairs international students with english-speaking students. The goal is for each student to gain cultural awareness and build valuable communication skills.

The program is designed to help international students succeed, and allows foreign and American students to develop communication skills while making new friends.

According to Soyeong Kim from the Office of International Programs (OIP), there are currently about 50 international students who need to be paired with UA students.

Students can indicate which age range, nationality and gender they prefer to be paired with.

Kim then tries to match up the students based on the applications. The application has a section where students can list interests such as playing sports, cooking, shopping and video games.

Upon getting a partner, the students begin by emailing one another. The OIP asks that the  students determine if they can meet at the social event, which participants are strongly encouraged to attend with their partner.

After the social, the pair will determine which days they are available to meet. The students can spend the time doing what interests them when they meet. The Cultural Partner Program requires students to maintain strong communication skills and to meet once a week for at least one hour.

Students can fill out an application on the CPP page on The University of Akron’s website. To be considered for this semester, students must apply by the end of this week.  Students that apply later than this week will be considered for the Spring 2015 semester.