Aladdin's Offers Exotic Eats

“While the cafeteria and local pizza places keep the hungry (and broke) college student satisfied for a while the salad bar and french fries eventually get mundane. Don’t worry you’re a student in Akron and there are several local restaurants that offer more variety and unique choices to entice your taste buds.”

While the cafeteria and local pizza places keep the hungry (and broke) college student satisfied for a while the salad bar and french fries eventually get mundane. Don’t worry you’re a student in Akron and there are several local restaurants that offer more variety and unique choices to entice your taste buds.

Aladdin’s Eatery, located in the eclectic Highland Square, offers modestly priced Mediterranean entrees and appetizers. Don’t let your inability to pronounce shawarma and mujadara scare you away from ordering, the wait staff is very helpful in explaining each dish. I like to start off my meal with a freshly made fruit smoothie or an appetizer. The smoothies come in many flavors, but the Tropical Storm is a citrus delight and a perennial favorite. The hummus, a staple of Mediterranean cuisine, will satisfy even the pickiest eaters and is served alongside a bountiful basket of fresh pita bread.

My favorite soup is the len-chili. It is the perfect blend of heartiness and spice. They also have vegetable and chicken soup available. They have many salads to choose from and a surplus of flavorful dressings. I personally enjoy the Almond Dressing and the Signature Aladdin’s dressing, but with all the choices they are sure to have something for every palate. They also serve full entrees or platters and these are perfect if you would like to share with someone or take extra home. Aladdin’s full menu is located on their Web site www.aladdinseatery.com.

I ordered a regular hummus with a side of hot sauce, they do serve a large size as well but, unless you are feeding a small army with hummus, the regular size will be enough for anyone.

I also ordered a Mujadara pocket. The garden pockets are pitas stuffed with salad, your choice of dressing and various toppings including rice and lentils, beef, chicken, falafel, hummus and even lamb. My garden pocket was overflowing and so large that I could not eat it all in a single sitting.

One thing that is not to be missed at Aladdin’s is the dessert case. Their deserts are located in a glorious case at the front of the restaurant. While they do offer the traditional baklava, their other sweets include confections like Rocky Road Cheese Cake, the Chocolate Bomb and Carrot Cake. Their assortment changes daily, but they always provide an extensive selection.

Aladdin’s is a staple at the Square and it is easy to see why.

With its seemingly limitless menu, modest prices and convenient carryout menu Aladdin’s fits into the college students’ budget and taste buds.

I give Aladdin’s Eatery in Highland Square 4.5/5 Zippies.