Survey of Favorite Downtown Bars

“In the world of downtown Akron bars it is often tough to determine which is number one. Each one of them has their own respective strengths and weaknesses, but the top three usually stand above the rest in one or two particular instances that gives them the edge over the others.”

In the world of downtown Akron bars it is often tough to determine which is number one.

Each one of them has their own respective strengths and weaknesses, but the top three usually stand above the rest in one or two particular instances that gives them the edge over the others.

Club Lux was the bar voted number three by students.

It stands out primarily because of its sheer size. It is impossible to deny Lux a spot in the top three when it is a spacious two-level bar in downtown Akron with reasonable weekly specials.

However, it likely missed earning the title of number one because it lacks originality in the grand scheme of downtown bars. Neon lights, thumping beats and a merely average beverage selection are all overdone aspects of many other clubs.

There is sure to be some contention among people as to who is truly number one, but from this survey, The Barley House ranks second.

This is an incredible standing among Akron’s downtown selection considering the bar has only been part of downtown for a relatively short amount of time.

The Barley House maybe a few square feet smaller than Club Lux, but the atmosphere, varied events and activities is likely what puts The Barley House above Club Lux.

On any weekend The Barley House has a number of great drink specials, corn-hole games and a decent sized dance floor that is usually packed.

Ironically, this is The Barley House’s weakness; it is such a popular bar that on some nights it can become a little too crowded and getting a drink becomes less of a casual experience and more of a grand quest for alcohol.

Apart from this side-effect of being so popular, The Barley House is deservedly number two.

The number one bar in downtown Akron voted on by students is 69 Taps.

If you include its outdoor area into the bar’s total size it can compete with number two and three.

69 Taps also has more pool tables and dart boards than The Barley House and the possibility for many other activities.

There is also the liquor bar that is more often than not stocked with high shelf alcohol.

Perhaps its strongest attribute is its draft selection – it is called 69 Taps for a reason.

On any night of the week it is possible to walk in and order a different beer.

The varied selection of alcohol is its heart of being a great bar.

For the Bud Light crowd, it also carries most of the major beer brands.

The bar does get busy and a little crowded just as any good bar does, but not to the point where claustrophobia would set in or the task of acquiring a beer is impossible.

Now that the official poll is in the only sensible thing to do is to research the bars first-hand and make your pick as to who number one should really be.

Also, since the drinking season never really ends there is always going to be jostling for that number one spot.

These bars can only remain in the top ranks if the partying collegiate populous gets out and supports their respective teams. Go Booze Hounds! Go!