Hollywood's seasonal scares

“Now that Halloween is on the horizon, zombies, ghosts and killers are abundant at the box office. Whether or not you like scary movies, it’s almost required to watch something that is at least remotely spooky during this time of year. Every Halloween for the last five years has brought a new installment of the over-hyped and underwhelming Saw series and sadly, this year is no different.”

Now that Halloween is on the horizon, zombies, ghosts and killers are abundant at the box office.

Whether or not you like scary movies, it’s almost required to watch something that is at least remotely spooky during this time of year.

Every Halloween for the last five years has brought a new installment of the over-hyped and underwhelming Saw series and sadly, this year is no different.

Saw VI serves up even more blood and gore with even less plot and depth than the prior Saw flicks.

The film picks up right where Saw V left off as Detective Hoffman escapes in the glass box and the walls above him close, killing Detective Strahm.

The actual story of finding Jigsaw’s successor becomes a side plot as the script introduces another random character who is sent through a series of tests and games.

The new games are about personal revenge and not the original idea of testing a person’s will to live.

Fans of the series will want to see the film simply because they’re already engulfed in the storyline.

Sadly, the only good thing about Saw VI is that its release brings us one step closer to the end of a franchise that should have ended three films ago.

Unlike the tired Saw series, Paranormal Activity brings an edgy new feel to the horror movie genre.

It has become one of the most talked about films of the whole year and has also been deemed one of the scariest by viewers and critics alike.

The film documents a middle class couple, Micah and Katie, who are haunted by a presence after they move into a new house together.

As the film progresses we find that Katie has been haunted by the spirit off and on since she was 8 years old.

The film was shot like a home movie with an extremely low budget.

At first you expect to see a hodgepodge of so called paranormal activity similar to that on Syfy’s Ghost Hunters without any real structure but the film surprisingly delivered a reasonable plot along with the scary gags.

The mock-umentary style is effective for the most part and adds to the terror, but there are several instances where it is obvious the couple is delivering scripted lines.

The film opens up with simple interaction between the couple and spends a lot of time developing the two characters.

Katie and Micah decide to set up the camera and a microphone in their room during the night to catch some of the odd activity that is happening in the house.

As each night rolls by the activity becomes more frequent leading to the climactic ending that leaves the audience terrified.

For those who can’t handle horror flicks, there is a stellar alternative.

Zombieland incorporates the living dead and uproarious laughter to give the audience the thrill of the spooky Halloween film without the nightmares and loss of sleep.

The film is narrated by the main character Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg), who has survived the Zombie outbreak thanks to his extreme carefulness and his own set of rules.

Columbus is making the way across the U.S. to see if his family is still alive.

After losing his car to the flesh-eating zombies, Columbus meets the gun-toting zombie slayer, Tallahassee, played by Woody Harrelson.

Harrelson is simply hilarious and Eisenberg has incredible comedic timing.

The movie provided laughs throughout as the characters make their journey across the country to find a zombie-free area.

Each of the three films can be found in nearby theaters, so get out there and enjoy a nice spooky flick to get you in the mood for this Halloween season.