Steele talks reform

” While many political pundits, analysts and Americans thought the Republican Party was a thing of the past, Michael Steele wants them to know they are not even close. Steele, the Republican National Chairman, spoke Thursday night at E.J. Thomas hall as a part of the Bliss Institute’s State of the Parties conference.”

While many political pundits, analysts and Americans thought the Republican Party was a thing of the past, Michael Steele wants them to know they are not even close.

Steele, the Republican National Chairman, spoke Thursday night at E.J. Thomas hall as a part of the Bliss Institute’s State of the Parties conference.

He addressed the crowd of students and community members and spoke of the renewed Republican Party.

You can’t please everyone, but you certainly can tick them all off, he joked.

His main points from the night seemed to be that of principles, values and spreading the word.

I live by the principles instilled to me by my mother, he said. These are the same principles’ of our party.

However, Steele believes that the party has gotten away from its original values. Because of the change in the party, he believes the most recent election loss was warranted.

The people fired the Republican Party, and they fired us with cause, he said.

Steele said he believed the country was looking for a renewal, and the party could no longer relate with the American promise.

This is not the party I joined in 1976, he said, stating that the party sought education and job opportunities.

Amidst all the talk he said that the party had a chance to define its path once again. One way to accomplish this is for the party to look at the issues most important to the American people before the next election.

With the party looking to go back to its core values, Steele said that this was a chance to engage people who may not sound, look or act like Republicans.

Suggestions for government were offered up, including the idea that it needs to stop at a point and allow individuals to fail or succeed.

We must look to ourselves to raise our children and grow our small businesses, he said. Empower the individual to access and create.

While everyone’s last name may not be Vanderbilt or Rockefeller, he said that everyone has a value that they can give to future generations.

Steele compared his career path with that of Ray Bliss, who the Bliss Institute was named after.

This is our opportunity, Steele remarked. Ray Bliss had it right.

He often used stories from his past, including his first experience with the Republican Party.

He spoke of his attendance at the Lincoln dinner in Maryland. While there, he spoke with the party chair and no one else until he met Elizabeth Dole in the receiving line. It was then that she pulled him right next to her so that he met every person in attendance.

Sometimes you need to push from within, he said.

He concluded the night by answering a few questions from the audience on everything from job creation to health care.

He explored the new political rules for Americans more extensively.

You need to be engaged, he said, pointing to the idea that Americans can no longer sit back and trust their elected officials.

You have a responsibility to hold leadership accountable, Steele said. Otherwise you won’t like the America you wake up to tomorrow.