Alcohol Awareness events preach decision making, responsibility

Members+of+Kappa+Kappa+Gamma%2C+winners+of+Mondays+Mocktails+event%2C+pose+after+their+victory.++

Spencer Skolnick

Members of Kappa Kappa Gamma, winners of Monday’s “Mocktails” event, pose after their victory.

By Spencer Skolnick, Writer

It’s Alcohol Awareness Week and campus is buzzing with different activities and programs, educating students on safety precautions and the risks of drinking alcohol.

Organized by Campus Programs, Student Health Services, and The Counseling & Testing Center, with participation from The University of Akron Police Department and Greek life, the event offers an opportunity to learn more about alternative activities to underage drinking, along with how to avoid dangerous parties and situations.

Some events earlier in the week included “Mocktails,” a competition where participating teams represented different countries and created nonalcoholic cocktails based on the country they were assigned.

“The overall theme [of Mocktails] was a good choice, and I liked how the student groups executed it,” said Jordan Bailey, a member of the Alpha Gamma Delta fraternity.

Hypnotist Keith Karkut appeared at the university on Wednesday, Oct. 22 giving students the opportunity to join him on stage as he replicated a party scene, hypnotizing volunteers for audience members to observe and enjoy.

The Counseling & Testing Center presented a workshop on decision-making in regards to alcohol consumption during a seminar seminar held Tuesday, Oct. 21. On Wednesday, Oct. 22, Off-Campus Student Services and UAPD presented a similar event detailing ways to safely and responsibly enjoy time out with friends.

Phi Kappa Tau, Gamma Delta, and Phi Delta Theta students sponsored “Are You Smarter than A Drunk Driver?” on Wednesday where those involved were given vision-impaired goggles to simulate the effects of alcohol in a controlled environment.

Michael Shanoudi, a member of Phi Kappa Tau said, “The reason [we] put this program on was to show kids how dangerous it is to drink and drive; how you’re not only putting yourself in danger, [but] people around you.”

Thursday, Oct. 23, Soberfest will be held on the front lawn of Phi Delta Theta from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. In the event of rain, Soberfest will be moved to the blue courts in SWRC.

The Friday Night Root Beer Kegger will bring the week to a close. The Root Beer Kegger will have fun games, activities, and prizes. It will be held in the Student Union from 10 p.m. to midnight as a final party for the week’s festivities. All week long, students have been encouraged to participate and become educated on the dangers and responsible use of alcohol.