Cheap, local fall activities

“As the cold winter months start to set in, there are a lot of things you can and should do outside around Akron to get your final fix of fall weather before the bitter cold sets in. PYO (Pick Your Own)-There are plenty of local farms and orchards in the greater Akron area that let you pick your own fresh, fall produce this time of year.”

As the cold winter months start to set in, there are a lot of things you can and should do outside around Akron to get your final fix of fall weather before the bitter cold sets in.

PYO (Pick Your Own)-There are plenty of local farms and orchards in the greater Akron area that let you pick your own fresh, fall produce this time of year.

If you are looking for pumpkins peppers or cabbage, try Boughton Farm in Akron.

It is only a 15 minute drive from UA and they are open until Oct. 31 on weekdays from 10 a.m.-7 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m.-4 p.m.

Visit www.boughtonfarm.com for complete details.

Fall Festivals- Heritage Farm on Riverview Road in Peninsula is holding their annual Pumpkin Pandemonium festival.

For only $7 a person you can get lost in the harvest maze, run through the straw tunnel, take a hike on one of the walking trails, jump in the giant leaf pile and solve the scavenger hunt among the Christmas tree fields.

While you are there also check out the large selection of PYO pumpkins, get your face painted for $1, and hop on the weekend hayride tour for an additional $3 a person.

The hours are from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays until Oct. 31 and this Friday only from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. To learn more go to www.heritagefarms.com.

Take a Walk- For a free and fun experience and embrace nature by walking around campus or one of the Metro Parks in the greater Akron area. Go to Gorge Metro Park in Cuyahoga Falls and discover the legend of Mary Campbell, 12-year old girl captured by the Delaware Indians and brought to one of the present-day caves in the park.

The Gorge offers both easy and challenging trails to hike along the Cuyahoga River and its rock ledge formations. This Saturday at 11 a.m. you can attend a ‘Hiking Spree’ and be guided through one of the trails by a naturalist.

The park hours are 6 a.m. to sunset. For directions and details about Gorge and other Metro Parks in our county visit www.summitmetroparks.org/ParksAndTrails/Gorge.aspx.

Visit a Haunted House- Since Halloween is coming up it is a perfect time to get some friends together and visit a haunted house. A local favorite is The Haunted Laboratory and Haunted Schoolhouse located on Triplett Blvd. in Akron.

It is the oldest running haunted house in America and is featured on hauntworld.com’s list of the Best 13 Haunted Houses in America for 2009.

Admission is $15 per house or $26 to go into both houses and they are open from 7 p.m.-Midnight on Fridays and Saturdays and 7 p.m.-10 p.m. Thursdays and Sundays until Nov. 1.

Visit www.hshlab.com for more information.

Take a Train Ride- the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad is a unique way to enjoy fall weather while learning about The Cuyahoga Valley National Park and its surrounding areas.

The actual trains are modeled after the late nineteenth century Ohio coal trains to give passengers a truly nostalgic feeling.

CVSR operates Wednesday through Sunday at a variety of times throughout the day to fit any schedule. Tickets are $15 for adults and $10 for children 3-12.

The railroad is only open until the end of October so visit www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/events.htm to make sure you get on board the train before time runs out.

Whether you prefer an afternoon of hayrides and pumpkin patches or an evening of ghosts and ghouls there is something for you to do during the last weeks of fall in Akron.

Get out there and enjoy the outdoors while you still can. After all, you are never too old for a little fall fun!