Men's soccer off to best start in history

“The University of Akron’s men’s soccer team is off to their best start in school history following a 2-0 win over the Virginia Tech Hokies on Tuesday night. With the win the No. 1 ranked Zips are now (12-0-0) and have recorded shutouts in 10 out of 12 games.”

The University of Akron’s men’s soccer team is off to their best start in school history following a 2-0 win over the Virginia Tech Hokies on Tuesday night.

With the win the No. 1 ranked Zips are now (12-0-0) and have recorded shutouts in 10 out of 12 games.

This was a dangerous game, head coach Caleb Porter said. We knew Virginia Tech would be fighting for their lives tonight and anytime you play an ACC team on the road it’s going to take a good performance to get a result.

The first half was slow until the 37th minute when the Zips countered an attack by the Hokies.

Defender Kofi Sarkodie sent the ball downfield to forward Teal Bunbury who put the ball in the net after a one-on-one situation with the goalie.

The goal was Bunbury’s 10th on the year and his ninth in the last seven matches.

Akron finished the first half leading in shots, at 6-4 and corner kicks, at 3-0.

The scoring in the second half went the Zip’s way as well.

Akron was attacking from the very start of the half and it was just a matter of time until the Zips found the net.

In the 80th minute the Zips drew a penalty kick.

Midfielder Blair Gavin, who has taken two previous penalty kicks this year, was again chosen to take the kick against the Hokies.

Gavin scored on the kick to put the Zips up 2-0.

Gavin now has four goals on the year, with three coming from penalty kicks.

There was no more scoring in the game as the Zip’s defense again forced a shutout.

Our first half was strong and we did well to earn a 1-0 lead at halftime, Porter said. We were unfortunate to not pull ahead in the second half and it could have come back to haunt us. In the end, our team defending held us in until we were able to get the second goal.

The Zips finished the game with an advantage on shots at 18-9 as well as an advantage on corner kicks at 8-3.

Holding the Hokies to only three corner kicks was surprising as they are ranked first in the ACC in obtaining corners.

With the win, Akron has successfully completed a sweep on their four game road trip.

This has been a tough road stretch, Porter said. To be on the road for four straight games in 10 days and get results is a credit to this team’s focus and determination.

On the trip the Zips have gained wins over Florida Atlantic, Illinois-Chicago, Western Michigan and Virginia Tech.

The team is looking forward to coming home to play at Lee Jackson Field where they have traditionally played their best soccer.

The coaches and players have credited such good play at home to the home-field-advantage that they have thanks to the AK-Rowdies.

The Rowdies organized a road trip to the Virginia Tech game and made an impact on the game.

The radio announcers on Virginia Tech’s website were constantly talking about how the Rowdies had not stopped cheering since they stormed into the stadium before game time.

I know the boys are looking forward to being back home this weekend, Porter said. Special thanks to the 50-plus Rowdies who made the trip to Blacksburg. Our players can’t wait to play NIU at Lee Jackson Field with all the Rowdies behind them again.

The Zips will return action on Saturday night as face the Northern Illinois Huskies in the Zips fourth MAC game of the year.

Akron is currently (3-0) in the MAC conference and will look to improve Saturday night.

Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.