Bowling tournament awards winners with scholarships

Scholarship winners from  Saturdays bowling tournament.

The Department of Student Life

Scholarship winners from Saturday’s bowling tournament.

By William Singer, News Editor

The 5th annual Edward G. Elias Bowling Tournament awarded $7,000 in scholarship prizes to three winning students Saturday, Nov. 1.

Twelve students won scholarships at the tournament which was started five years ago by Edward Elias and his wife Peggy Elias in honor of Edward’s love for bowling.

The tournament, held in the Student Union Game Room, was organized into two flights with individual awards ranging from $250 to $1,000. The scholarships were given to the top three male and female bowlers in both flights.

The first place winners for Flight 1 were Joe Wittman and Lindsey Chafe, both nursing majors.

For Flight 2, Austin Yourker, a psychology major and Tanjenae, a middle level education major took home first place prizes.

“This tournament was such a great experience. I got to bowl and have a great time with my colleagues. I’m so grateful for the opportunity,” said Lindsey Chafe.

Edward Elias was born in Akron and attended UA where he lettered in basketball, baseball and was president of Student Council. After graduating in 1951 with a Bachelor of Arts degree, he created the Professional Bowlers Association at 28 years old. Within two years the PBA was hosting tournaments in 11 cities and offering more than $300,000 in prize money.

Today, the PBA has more than 4,000 members and a $5 million prize fund.

The scholarships awarded to the three bowlers were funded by friends of Edward and Peggy Elias including The Phillip J. Donahue and Marlo Thomas Trust.