Fall Housing Fair introduces on, off-campus housing options

Many+gathered+for+UAs+Fall+Housing+Fair.+

Sara Syed

Many gathered for UA’s Fall Housing Fair.

By Sara Syed, Writer

Students piled into the Student Union on Wednesday, Nov. 5 to learn about options for on-campus and off-campus housing.

Tables were set up to advertise nearby apartments such as the 401 Lofts, University Edge, and 22 Exchange. Students also received business cards from landlords in the area and information about living in university dorms.

The event advertised many services that the university provides to students, such as assistance through the Off-Campus Student Services and legal assistance through the School of Law Legal Clinic.

The event was created to “assist students with dorm to apartment living, or moving from apartment to apartment,” according to Tyese-Kiper, student assistant for OCSS.

Tyese-Kiper mentioned the multitude of services offered by OCSS for students including looking over leases before students sign, victim assistance, free amenities such as bagel and hot chocolate breakfasts throughout the semester. They also offer a full kitchen to commuters, located on the first floor of the Student Union.

Tyese-Kiper stated that the kitchen is a great amenity to commuting students that enough students don’t utilize. OCSS offers a list of rental properties that are approved for students to utilize.

The School of Law Legal Clinic attended the event to share their expertise in the legal process of renting apartments and houses.

Lucy Higgins, third year Law Student, stated that the Legal Clinic can also review any lease before signing into the contract. Higgins also recommended that during the initial inspection before moving into a house or an apartment, students should take photographs of each room to save as evidence when they are ready to move.

Higgins indicated that there can be discrepancies over receiving the security deposit after a lease has ended and having photographs can protect the renter.

The School of Law would also like students to be aware of the Community Legal Aid of Akron that provides free legal assistance to students if they should ever have problems with renting.

The event introduced many different options for renting as well as helpful legal advice for any first time renters.