Women's soccer dominates senior weekend

“The women’s soccer team (6-6-2) this weekend dominated as they defeated the Miami (Ohio) Redhawks (7-6-1, as of Friday’s game) and the Ball State Cardinals (4-10-0). On Friday, the Zips (4-3-1 in MAC conference play, as of Friday’s game) defeated the Miami University Redhawks (3-3-1 in conference play) 1-0.”

The women’s soccer team (6-6-2) this weekend dominated as they defeated the Miami (Ohio) Redhawks (7-6-1, as of Friday’s game) and the Ball State Cardinals (4-10-0).

On Friday, the Zips (4-3-1 in MAC conference play, as of Friday’s game) defeated the Miami University Redhawks (3-3-1 in conference play) 1-0. The first half was all defenses as both the Zips and the Redhawks went scoreless.

As a unit we are playing very well, we are very organized, we had good communication, and I’m very happy with where are team played defensively, Zips head coach Chris Pfau said.

There was a major switch from the first half to the second half with the Zips dominating offensively.

I think we were either really nervous or cold in the first half. We needed to be more proactive, and in the second half are forwards really attacked the ball, Pfau said.

Senior Kate Ferrara had the only goal for the Zips which came in the second half.

Perfect timing, it was great that a senior got a game winning goal on senior weekend, Pfau said.

Key stats were two shots for Rachel Phillip and Britni Back, and one shot for Kate Ferrara, Ashley Hughes and Alysia Virkler.

Zips goaltender Jeny Wolbert dominated while having two saves and played all 90 minutes against the Redhawks.

Redhawks stats include two shots for Allison Berkey, and one shot a piece for Kersta Carlson, Alexandra Karlsson, Jodi Zwingelberg and Courtney Clarke.

Redhawks goaltender Krista Pace played all 90 minutes and had three saves for the game.

On Sunday it was senior day for the Zips as they took on the Ball State Cardinals (4-11-0 in MAC conference play) and won 3-0.

The first half was all defense for both the Zips and Cardinals while both teams went into half scoreless while the Zips had a lot of missed opportunities.

Mentally in the first half we just missed our shots, Pfau said.

The second half was an offensive showdown for the Zips while scoring all three of their goals for the game.

In the second half we came in and did what we had to do and made our shots and attacked them, Pfau said.

Rachel Phillip dominated the offensive attack while scoring two goals and had four shots for the game.

Rachel played incredible today, she has really come on the last three to four games, and has become a dangerous forward for us, Pfau said.

Scoring the other goal for the Zips was Andrea Schweisthal.

It’s good for Andrea to come off the bench and get a goal for us, she really picked up the team, Pfau said.

Key stats for the Zips were four shots a piece from Ashley Hughes and Rachel Phillip, two shots for Jordan Baranowski, Britni Back and Andrea Schweisthal.

Alysia Virkler, Britni Back, and Kyra Petrole each had one assist for the Zips.

Splitting time at goaltender was Katie Davis and Jeny Wolbert. Davis started the game and played in the entire first half having one save. Wolbert entered the game in the second half and had two saves.

We came out a little flat in the first half, but in the second half we came out and picked it up. I am proud of our team, and it is great to get a win on senior day for our seniors, Pfau said.

The Zips have three more games for the season against the Buffalo Bulls and the Kent State Golden Flashes on the road.

The Zips last home game will be played on Oct. 29 against the Ohio Bobcats.