SSA holds canned food drive

By Dakota Phillips, Opinion Editor

Among the many charitable drives this season is the Help the Hungry this Holiday Food Drive which is being held by the Secular Student Alliance. The event is led by Shauna Lachendro, who created the event and acts as its organizer. SSA is a secular organization on UA’s campus comprised of students with a diverse set of beliefs.

“We are just doing this drive for fun and the joy we get knowing we had a positive effect on peoples’ lives,” Lachendro said.

Their purpose for holding this weeklong event is to help people in need in the Akron community.

The SSA will be accepting donations of canned food and money to help the Akron-Canton Food Bank. Funds will be collected in a jar on their table and every cent will be catalogued to ensure strict donation. They will have decorated boxes at their table and pod space. SSA aims to receive $50 and a total of 100 items donated. The goals are small as the drive will be taking place the week before finals.

They will have a table in front of Union Market in the Student Union from Dec.1 through 5 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. They will also be accepting donations at their pod space in the student organization area of the Student Union during the same time period.