Giving more than thanks this holiday season

William Singer

Students help during Hunger and Homelessness week by donating toiletries.

By Alicia Finch, Editor-in-Chief

Give something more this holiday season. The UA community has the opportunity to give back with the Hope Tote donation drive, a toiletry drive in knowledge for Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week November 16 through 22.

Essentials like toothbrushes and toothpaste, soap, shaving cream, deodorant, disposable razors, shampoo and conditioner, lip balm, facial tissues, socks, shoelaces and canned goods are some items needed for the drive. Hope Tote is a toiletry drive where donations are collected and will benefit Akron’s Haven of Rest. The canned goods will be donated to the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank.

“It is a great time for everyone to reflect on things they are thankful for. This week is about awareness, education, and giving back to our local community,” Assistant Director of Student Life Alison Doehring said.

Donations can be dropped off in the Center for Service and Leadership located on the first floor, across from the Game Room in the Student Union. Students are encouraged to come to events throughout the week with canned foods.

Hunger and Homelessness week has been supported by UA for the last four years and is held a week before Thanksgiving every year. This week a number of countless schools, and communities around the country are taking part in this nationwide challenge to help bring great awareness to the problems faced when it comes to absolute poverty.

“The awareness week is sponsored by National Coalition for the Homeless and the National Student Campaign Against Human Hunger and Homelessness,” Doehring said.

ServeAkron has a week of programs with many other events in regards to gaining awareness and learning about the absolute poverty that can be faced by anyone. The Department of Student Life supports a variety of nonprofits and their donation drives.

The Hope Tote drive has not been previously supported through the office of student life and in addition is sponsoring a canned food drive for the hunger portion of the week as it is fitting to support Akron’s largest and private social service agencies in Summit, Portage, Medina, Stark, Holmes and many more.

For more information on how to the help the community this holiday season contact serveAkron in Student Life or at [email protected].