Loss to Falcons bring new records

Akron+swimmer+swimming+the+butterfly+on+her+way+to+a+top+three+finish.+

GoZips

Akron swimmer swimming the butterfly on her way to a top three finish.

By Forrest Dukes, Sports Editor

The Zips fared well against the undefeated Bowling Green Falcons but came up short in their last road meet of the season, falling 167-132 Friday night at Cooper Pool. The Zips are now 3-3 in dual meets for the season and will have one more meet to get above .500 before heading to the MAC Championships held in Ypsilanti, Michigan, home of the Eagles of Eastern Michigan University.

During their match against BGSU, the Zips had swimmers place in the top three in 15 of the 16 events, six of which the Zips won the event. The one-meter dive was swept by the Zips as junior Alice Hottensmith made her way into Zips history with a fifth best score of 295.88, followed by sophomore Paige Kelkenberg (274.50) and sophomore Rachel Aepelbacher taking third (267.38). Aepelbacher also won the three-meter event later on with a score of 271.43 while teammate Kelkenberg claimed second with a score of 260.10.

In the lanes, sophomore Luka Szynal defeated the Falcons in the 100-yard backstroke by posting a time of 55.86, as well as the 200-yard backstroke at a time of 201.38. Szynal has yet to lose at an individual backstroke event in any dual meets that the Zips have competed in this season. Junior Erin Seiler had a successful night winning the 200 and 100-yard butterfly.

Akron will return home for their final home meet of the season, where they will host Xavier and Mount Union in the Ocasek Natatorium on Friday, Jan. 30 at 5 p.m. This meet will serve as senior night for the seven seniors on the roster and will be honored for their time and commitment in the sport before the contest.