Zips mid-way recap

GoZips

Left to right, Noah Robotham, Reggie McAdams, and Jake Kretzer before tip off

By Sartaj Aujla, Sports Writer

The Akron Men’s Basketball program currently holds a 12-5 overall record, and currently are 3-1 so far in Mid American Conference play.

Not only that, but the program is currently performing strong at home, defending their home court to the tune of a 10-1 home record, averaging 17.4 more points than their opponents in their ten wins.

However, with all that has happened at the beginning of the season, you would expect a different record.

The program’s mental toughness was tested earlier than expected, as Keith Dambrot was unable to coach the team’s first exhibition game, as he had to be with a family member who was hospitalized.

Before the Charleston Classic, Forward Demetrius Treadwell, one of the Zips star players, was suspended indefinitely for violation of student-athlete code of conduct.

Add that to a team and community still grieving over the passing of Director of Basketball Operations Dan Peters, who lost his battle with pancreatic cancer.

Even with all the distractions the 2014-2015 season started with, the Zips currently are 3rd in the MAC East.

Part of the Zips ability to stay on track has to do with the emerging stars on the team, as well as the ability to be cohesive as a unit.

Pat Forsythe, now in his second season with UA after transferring from West Virginia, has filled in the presence in the paint role that was left by Demetrius Treadwell. The Junior Center is averaging 10.2 points per game, while grabbing 5 rebounds per game as well.

Freshmen stars, Noah Robotham and Antino Jackson, as well as Seniors Nyles Evans and Deji Ibitayo, have contributed at both guard positions to the Zips 2014-2015 campaign.

Reggie McAdams, the recently named MAC Player of the Week averaged 15.5 points and 4.5 in the Zips last two match-ups.

The team appears to have passed their mental toughness test at the beginning of the season, showing a team that has come over adversity.

This is not the first time the Men’s Basketball Program has faced adversity and were able to stay on track.  During the 2012-2013 season, the team suspended Point Guard Alex Abreu, one of their key players they counted on to command their offense. The suspension came before the Zips prepared for the MAC tournament.

The Zips, although missing their key player, ended up winning the 2012-2013 MAC Championship.

The Zips have 14 more games to go before the MAC tournament. The team will rely on their cohesiveness and emergence of players to keep them in the postseason picture.