Hill finishes first, Zips host first tournament in history next week

” The University of Akron women’s golf team have played in only two tournaments in its short history. While they have yet to actually win a tournament, neither one can be counted as a disappointment. The Zips placed ninth in their very first tournament, the Great Smokies Intercollegiate two weeks ago, while also posting an impressive 11-place individual finish by freshman Kristen Hill.”

The University of Akron women’s golf team have played in only two tournaments in its short history. While they have yet to actually win a tournament, neither one can be counted as a disappointment.

The Zips placed ninth in their very first tournament, the Great Smokies Intercollegiate two weeks ago, while also posting an impressive 11-place individual finish by freshman Kristen Hill.

For an encore, the Zips finished second last week in the Cardinal Classic with a final score of 601.

In fact, it took a record-setting performance from Ball State to claim the tournament title as their final score of 594 set the program mark for a 36-hole event.

Akron’s head coach Jenny King seemed impressed with her team but also acknowledged Ball State’s impressive play.

The team played well today and we had a strong run, she said. But Ball State played too strong and took home the title.

As for Hill, she proved her impressive performance in the Great Smokies was no fluke as the freshman claimed first-place individually with a two-under-par final for the tournament.

No small task, seeing as how it was her second collegiate tournament ever.

King acknowledged her star player’s performance, as well as her poise during the whole tournament.

Kristen’s play was solid, King said. She focused all the way through. I’m proud of how she handled her nerves to earn her first collegiate win.

For her efforts, Hill was named MAC Golfer of the Week.

Hill and the Zips will look to defend their home course as they will host the Zippy Invitational at Rosemont Country Club in Fairlawn this week.