Students seek opportunities at spring Career Fair

Students+evaluate+potential+career+choices+with+the+employers+assembled+at+the+Career+Fair+in+the+Union+ballrooms.+

Kristina Aiad-Toss

Students evaluate potential career choices with the employers assembled at the Career Fair in the Union ballrooms.

By Kristina Aiad-Toss, News Writer

Students gathered at the Student Union ballrooms on Wednesday, Feb. 25 for the All-Campus UA Career Fair.

UA’s Career Center holds this event each semester. Wednesday’s fair was for students of all majors, except students pursuing science and engineering degrees—their career fair took place on Feb. 24.

More than 125 employers, including Apple Retail, FOX 8, Smuckers Inc., Coco-Cola, and the Department of Homeland Security, were present trying to recruit students for internships, co-ops, and full-time positions.

By allowing direct contact with companies that want to hire UA students, the career fair makes the job application process for students easier and more accessible. Students were able to meet employers in person and show them their resumes, helping them make contacts and find jobs faster.

UA’s Career Center added several aspects to this year’s event, including a room to research present employers, a free photo session for head shots, and four self-marketing informational sessions delivered by David Payne from the Fisher Institute of Professional Selling.

The fair also had a separate section where nine federal law enforcement agencies, like the DEA and the FBI, were present to recruit students interested in working for them.

Many employers said the ideal candidate they look for when hiring is one who has experience and is usually a junior or senior. Nevertheless, some companies ask sophomores to come back the following year or get in contact with them to apply later on in their career development.

Specifically, employers favor individuals who have excellent communication and people skills, as well as good customer service. Often, companies prefer career fairs to the traditional method of hiring, because they find it more direct, personal and effective.

For students looking for tips on finding employment, one employer suggested: be yourself, find what you love to do, and find a place you want to be.

For more upcoming events and help on resume building, visit the Career Center on the third floor of the Union or visit http://www.uakron.edu/career.  The Career Center hosts events to help make the transition from college to career easier for students.