Bearcats sneak past Zips

“A 48-yard field goal by Cincinnati’s Jake Rogers lifted the University of Cincinnati over the University of Akron Saturday, 17-15 at the Rubber Bowl. The redshirt sophomore’s decisive kick came with 7:45 left in the back-and-fourth battle that saw both teams miss opportunities to take control of the game.”

A 48-yard field goal by Cincinnati’s Jake Rogers lifted the University of Cincinnati over the University of Akron Saturday, 17-15 at the Rubber Bowl.

The redshirt sophomore’s decisive kick came with 7:45 left in the back-and-fourth battle that saw both teams miss opportunities to take control of the game.

UA failed to convert on fourth-and-one from the 5-yard line with 8:11 left in the third quarter when senior running back Andrew Johnson was stopped for no gain.

The Zips also had an extra point blocked, failed to convert a two-point conversion and missed a 44-yard field goal after recovering a Bearcat fumble in UC territory in the third quarter.

UA’s fifth-year coach J.D. Brookhart was visibly upset during his post-game news conference that his team was unable to take advantage of the multiple scoring opportunities.

I have a pit in my stomach, Brookhart said. We had opportunities and there’s no question our kids fought hard. In the end we didn’t overcome everything we needed to beat them.

The Zips’ final comeback attempt was thwarted when redshirt junior quarterback Chris Jacquemain threw an interception around midfield with 1:31 remaining in the game.

On the preceding play, Jacquemain was called for intentional grounding when trying to throw the ball away on a failed screen attempt, setting up the second-down miscue.

The Bearcats (3-1) failed to finish productive drives in the first half, allowing the Zips (2-3) to take a 9-7 lead into the locker room at halftime.

After UC scored a touchdown in its first offensive drive of the game, the Bearcats drove 88 yards in 17 plays on their third drive, before being stopped on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line.

The Bearcats also failed on their second fourth-down conversion in as many tries on their next drive on fourth-and-one from UA’s 25-yard line.

UC’s second-year head coach Brian Kelly defended his aggressive first-half calls during his post-game news press conference.

I have never played for field goals near the goal line in the first half, Kelly said. If it was late in the game and we needed three to extend a lead, then I would have gone for the kick.

UA scored its first touchdown of the game when Jacquemain threw a 7-yard touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Deryn Bowser. Senior running back Dennis Kennedy scored the team’s other touchdown on a 1-yard run in the fourth quarter.

UC took a 14-9 early in the second half when redshirt junior quarterback Tony Pike threw a 67-yard touchdown pass to junior Mardy Gilyard.

UA’s injured list grew longer in the loss, as Johnson had to be immobilized and transported to a local hospital via ambulance after being tackled on the pivotal fourth-and-one play in the third quarter. The extent of his injury was not immediately known.

Redshirt junior running back Alex Allen was lost for the season two weeks ago after fracturing his hip against Ball State.

Senior defensive captain Doug Williams said the Zips have used the injuries as motivation.

They were busting their behinds for us, so we have to do it for them, Williams said. After they got hurt, we used that to motivate us to go harder and work harder for them.

The Zips return to Mid-American East play next Saturday as they travel to Dix Stadium to face arch-rival Kent State in the 38th Battle for the Wagon Wheel.