Your Vegas channels U2 in 'Up Until the Lights Go Out'

“Cut Copy – Lights & Music Something out of ’80s German discothech with modern guitars and only gently distorted vocals, Lights & Music is an oddity that will draw the curious and leave enough for the dance and club fans to enjoy. This Australian trio’s third album’s new single is on par with the likes of Franz Ferdinand, if Falco came back to life to front the group.”

Cut Copy – Lights & Music

Something out of ’80s German discothech with modern guitars and only gently distorted vocals, Lights & Music is an oddity that will draw the curious and leave enough for the dance and club fans to enjoy.

This Australian trio’s third album’s new single is on par with the likes of Franz Ferdinand, if Falco came back to life to front the group. This track is rhythmic and with enough variety that it’s enjoyable.

Jackie Green – Uphill Mountain

A little honkytonk, a little Bob Dylan, this tune stays close to the country genre rather than break into the rock genre. The guitars are too repetitive, with only a few notable guitar transitions, and the early harmonica and later saxophone that appear only in these sections of the song and nowhere else provide little interest.

Uphill Mountain is too slow to be a western dance song and too far from rock to be an alternative track. This download is only for those who want something soft and unsurprising in their collection.

Low vs. Diamond – Don’t Forget Sister

Soft, mellow, yet the song builds as the verses progress. The drums and guitar burst into a loud but enjoyable rage.

The chorus cries poetically to the title’s namesake, not to forget who one is in life. The song continues to build emotion, until it climaxes into a hard rock coda filled with woo-hoo’s and accompanying piano.

Not the standard fare of alternative rock these days but worth checking out.

Your Vegas – Up Until the Lights Go Out

Channeling U2, Your Vegas can piece together a great alternative song. Lead singer Coyle Girelli has the range and soul of Bono, and the rest of this quintet are just distinct enough that they don’t stand in the shadow of the Irish band’s fame.

With constantly shifting guitar rifts between verse, chorus and bridge, and the inclusion of keyboards that never overpower the other aspects of the Yorkshire band’s latest single, Your Vegas scores a definite hit.

Unless you have an aversion to ’90s U2 and similar music, make sure to grab this download.