Davidson plays quiet leadership role

“Senior Kurt Davidson has had a dream career at the University of Akron, but he has figured out the road is never without its bumps. After his sophomore year at UA, Davidson overcame knee surgery and thoughts of not being able to play baseball only to break records and secure his place in UA history.”

Senior Kurt Davidson has had a dream career at the University of Akron, but he has figured out the road is never without its bumps.

After his sophomore year at UA, Davidson overcame knee surgery and thoughts of not being able to play baseball only to break records and secure his place in UA history.

Davidson, a senior communications major, admitted that the surgery was a bit frightful, but it also made him a better person.

It was a little scary because in the back of my mind I didn’t want to get hurt again, the 6-foot-3 catcher said. (The rehab) was frustrating at times just because I wasn’t able to do everything that I had been able to do in the past. It was definitely something that, once you get through , it makes you a better person.

The so-called quiet leader of the Zips baseball team has earned respect not only with his teammates but with head coach Pat Bangtson as well.

Kurt is a quiet individual. He’s very good leading by example (when) one-on-one with the players, especially young pitchers, Bangtson said. There is that respect, the fact that he does works hard, he doesn’t speak often but when he does they (his teammates) really respect it.

He showed that leadership during the game against Malone College on April 2, when he made a trip to the pitcher’s mound to cool down his pitcher late in the game-something Bangtson said Davidson is comfortable with.

I was about two-steps away from going out to talk to the guy and I know Kurt went out there and talked to him. I didn’t have to worry about it, I have other things to take care of, he can handle that part for me and we’re a better team for it, he said.

As a junior, Davidson was rated the top catching prospect in the Mid-American Conference, a title he said he has been struggling to keep this year.

It was an honor, he said. Just because I go out there each day and try to be better than the other catcher. There are some really good catchers in the MAC throughout the years. I’m trying to look to repeat that this year. I’m struggling a little bit but things are getting better.

If being a top prospect in the MAC and becoming UA’s all-time home run leader at the end of his junior year weren’t enough, he garners high praise from teammates as well.

Fellow teammate and roommate Doug McNulty said what makes him a great teammate and person is that he cares about others.

He’s a great teammate, McNulty said. He cares just about as much as what you’re doing just as much as what he is. He’s helped me with my swing. He goes the extra mile to help his teammates out. If you’re not hitting or something he’ll take you aside and work with you.

The phrase McNulty used to describe Davidson was selfless-friend, in reference to numerous times they watched Pittsburgh Steelers games together. Davidson was there to support his friend through all the losses.

He also stressed that Davidson was the kind of friend who would help you out of a jam.

You know that if you’re three or four hours away and you need something, he will be there. You can count on him, he’s never late. He doesn’t hang you out to dry.

Davidson has managed to consistently put up good numbers for the Zips. This is something that Bangtson said he believes is due to Davidsons work ethic, which he was able to sum up in one word- unbelievable.

He (will stay) here till after dark hitting, Bangtson said.

As for Davidson’s plans for after UA, he hopes to either be drafted or go into coaching.

If he gets drafted Bangtson said he hopes that he heads to the team up north.

Well I have always told all my players I want them to go to Cleveland and get their favorite coach free tickets, Bangtson joked.

He has received interest from teams both last year and this year, but with a month and a half left before the draft, it’s still in the air.

However, if you ask Davidson about the scouts, don’t be surprised if he doesn’t provide much insight.

That’s just going to handle itself, hopefully someone gives me a look. If not, then I’m going to coach, Davidson stated.

If he would choose the coaching route, Bangtson believes that he will make a great coach for various reasons.

He relates to the guys well, he has a good personality and obviously his work ethic, that’s what it takes to be a coach, he said. Also, citing that he studies the game, which will help make him a great coach.

Davidson expressed that he would like to come back to UA when Bangston left.

Becoming a Zip was a great experience, one that he is happy that he took.

It was a great opportunity, I came in and started as a freshman every game. That was the main thing I wanted to come in and play right away and plus it’s close to home, he said.

I couldn’t ask for anything more. The people, my friends and professors, all of them going out of their way to help me. It’s something I will look back on and remember as a great time. I’ve just really enjoyed being a Zip.

” #1.1361094:2950028882.jpg:Davidson, Kurt_EMU103.jpg:Senior Kurt Davidson is UA’s all-time home run leader.:Jeff Harwell / Zips Sports Photography”