Fair helps students make major life decisions

While+students+meander+about+and+get+information+at+the+Majors+Fair%2C+Zippy+encourages+them+to+study+what+they+love.+

Kristina Aiad-Toss

While students meander about and get information at the Majors Fair, Zippy encourages them to study what they love.

By Kristina Aiad-Toss, News Writer

All college students face the challenge of choosing a major; to help with that decision, UA Student Success hosted a Majors Fair on Wednesday, April 1 in the Union Ballroom A.

The event provided students with information on majors, minors, and certificates from department faculty, according to John Lanshe, assistant director of Academic Advising and Student Success. The career center was also in attendance.

The Fair was circus-themed, with balloons, free popcorn, and circus music playing in the background. The setting was meant to be informal and enjoyable.

As a new addition to the event, a career assessment table helped students find majors that aligned with their interests.  After students completed the assessment, Lanshe discussed the results with them.

The Majors Fair will occur each spring semester. Next year’s improvements include representation from more departments, expansion into the second Union ballroom, increased participation, and more advertising.

Lanshe advised students seeking double majors or minors to consider if the additional academics would benefit their career plan, keeping timing and finances in mind. He added that student should constantly ask questions of faculty, advisors, and the Career Center.

Faculty members told students about career opportunities, alumni placements, and class syllabi. They also advised contacting other students for class shadowing, saying students should be realistic about their abilities and commitments when choosing a career path.

For a major, students must often choose between what they love and what is practical.

“I think it needs to be a blend of both,” said Katie Timperio, manager of student affairs in the Myers School of Art. “Students who pursue an art degree often balance that with adding in extra classes or minors to increase opportunities for graduate school and in the professional world.”

“I’m sure mom and dad want you to do something practical, but you must choose for yourself,” said Dan Canary of the College of Health Professionals. “If your heart is not in what you are doing, it will be difficult to go to work everyday, and people realize you’re only there for the paycheck.”

“Do what you love,” said Lanshe. “My experience is that when you pursue your passions, you will find something that—for you—is practical.”