Week of tribute for graduating seniors

Seniors+Destiny+Huggins+and+Monica+Langmeyer+decorate+their+graduation+caps.+

Sofia Syed

Seniors Destiny Huggins and Monica Langmeyer decorate their graduation caps.

By Sofia Syed, Arts & Life Editor

This week, 2015 graduates will get the chance to commemorate their time spent at UA with Senior Week.

This is the first year that UA has offered Senior Week—a week-long series of events that allows students to participate in various activities.

UA is also offering Class of 2015 pins for all seniors who attend any of these events.

“We’re hoping that people take advantage of [Senior Week], and we’re going to be doing something similar for all the graduating classes of 2015,” said David Vale, assistant director of of Campus Programs. “So summer as well as in December.”

The week of activities included a service project where students volunteered alongside UA alumni to give back to the Akron community at Summit Lake. There was also a recognition reception for the top 10 seniors of 2015, a career link workshop, and graduation cap decorating.

Students could also receive help with their resumes, professional headshots, appropriate attire, and interviewing. New tours were also offered, which allowed students to explore various parts of campus they may not have discovered during their time at UA.

“Our connection and our involvement with that is to transition them from being a student here to an alum and to make that connection with them so they feel supported as an alum,” said Cassie Verardi, assistant director of Akron Experience.

Sara Smith, graduating with her bachelor’s in special education, attended graduation cap decorating on April 27. She used glittery foam stickers to write the quote: “She turned her can’ts into cans and her dreams into plans.”

The campus tour allowed students to visit places on campus they have not been to yet, and understand the history behind those places.

Willy Kollman is the associate director of UA Alumni and Government Relations. Kollman conducted the tour, saying: “I know every nook and cranny and I love the history of this institution.”

The tour visits included the president’s suite, the soccer coach’s office—which has a key to the City of Akron—the golf dome, Buchtel Hall, the Board of Trustees office, and the 16th floor in the Bulger Residence Hall.

“I thought it was interesting just because they said we get to see places we normally don’t get to go,” said Rachel Williams, senior. “I like seeing inside places that we’re not really supposed to be at, so I thought that was a cool aspect of it.”

On Thursday, April 30, mock interviews will be conducted from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. in Union Room 211. There will also be happy hour at Thirsty Dog Brewing Company with UA alumni from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. A limited number of students will receive a commemorative glass, and appetizers and a cash bar will be available.

Senior Week 2015 ends with SpringFest on May 1. Hoodie Allen will be performing, along with other various activities, entertainment and fireworks. Also during SpringFest, 12 graduating seniors will get the chance to participate in the Ultimate SpringFest Challenge for a chance to win even more prizes.

According to Vale, Senior Week is “just to recognize the seniors and the graduating class and to celebrate their success and achievements.”

For more information about Senior Week 2015 and to RSVP to any event, visit www.uakron.edu/studentlife/seniorweek.